British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to black out the back of my new 75 gallon mbuna tank. What are the pros and cons of the painted method compared to just attaching a glossy, black, background sheet to the back? And if you like paint, would you use flat, gloss...?

Thanks, :)
KTm

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Yeah, most people just use flat black paint. I've rolled mine on before, just flat black latex. Or you can spray too, which can get messy unless you have it outside. Paint doesn't really like to stick well to glass so I rolled on a few coats. I've also used self adhesive vinyl (like car wrap stuff) and that works well but takes a bit of skill/practice. The key to making the background look good is to have no gap between the vinyl and the glass, that's why those old school vinyl sheets that we used to attach to the back of a tank with a couple pieces of scotch tape looked terrible.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've rolled on some semi gloss paint that I had left over from my house build which works well but it flakes off fairly easy. I've also used plasti dip, takes several small coats but does work well and can peel off very nicely if you wanted to change it. I do like the black backgrounds though I think they look the best, and I will probably just stick to black semi gloss paint cause it's cheaper and I have no desire to change the background.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, everyone. Ya, I think the black does look the best! With all the new paints out nowadays, I'm gonna look for one that specifies it's good for glass. I'll check out Plastidip also. Maybe the Fusion paint would be good, I know it sticks to plastic really well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I painted the back one of my tanks and it is super easy (no previous experience necessary). If you want to prevent filter tubes or cords to scratch the paint, just tape some cardboard over the paint. You won't see it from the front and it will protect the paint against scratches.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've never tried this on a fish tank but I heard people use Plasti-dip (spray). I use it on my rims for my car and it is like a plastic compound that looks like paint. Doesn't need priming, just spray on and it can be peeled off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just picked up a can of Krylon fusion satin black. It's for glass aswell as Plasti-dip. I think these would work better than just latex.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a sheet on back acrilyc plastic from industrial plastics. It has a bit of texture on one side and flat on another. Used scotch to keep it in place. Since this is a sturdy sheet there are no bends and wobbles you get with regular backing. Easy to take off and put back if you ever need to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts