British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my 2.5g minibow set up with a dozen or so guppy fry in it. It's got the filter running (with a sponge over the intake), but how do I go about a water change with out sucking up or scooping out the fry?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Unless you have to vacuum the tank, just take an air stone ( place it in the tank ) and length of airline tubing ( hey its only a small tank ;) ). I use an air line only for cleaning up the bottom of my fry tank.
Set the air stone up from the bottom and drain into a 5 gallon bucket . I fill the same way by putting a 1 gallon container above the tank for refilling.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I just vacuum the top portion of the tank. The fries swim back to the bottom so I don't vacuum them accidently :). What smart fish ^^. But if you need to vacuum the bottom, I just put them in a smaller tank for the time being then put them back when the bottom cleaning is done :). Hopefully this helps a little? :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can also use a clear turkey baster to get out debris. Works great and you can see if you scoop up fry. Or you can put a old nylon over the airtube too...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clever idea with the air stone Aquaman!
I think trying to scoop out a dozen or so fry would be a PIA.

Turkey baster for the bottom would be good! I've got a handy dandy fish/turtle baster ;)

Thanks for the ideas guys!

·
Registered
155 Posts
i used to siphon water out of my hob filter when i was raising fry for large water changes and use an airline hose as a siphon with a skinny aluminum tube attached to it to suck debris from the bottom of the tank but any kind of ridgid tube will work
i dont know if thats the kind of filter your using with your sponge but if it is it really speeds things up

·
Registered
238 Posts
or you could use a divider to herd all the frys on one side and do the vacuuming... then guide your frys to another side and vacuum the rest of the tank... :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can also use a clear turkey baster to get out debris. Works great and you can see if you scoop up fry. Or you can put a old nylon over the airtube too...
+1 Though I never used nylon cause I wanted to get all the debris out. You have to move very slowly. Once the water currents pick up...it'll take forever for the debris to settle down again.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I would scoop water out with a cup and pour it into a sock or make sure there is no fish before dumping out. a 2.5g is tiny.... alternatively get a piece of acrylic tube and attach and air line hose on it that way you suck minimal water out into the bucket without any fry!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts