British Columbia Aquariums banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
.... I change water once every 2 weeks . I do about 75 to 90 % depends on how i feel. For filtration. I have an xp4 and a eheim 2228. at last count I had close to 60 fish in there....
that's great to hear you've found a balance for your tank where you can stretch out the water changes a bit. I guess it's good filtration and efficient absorption of nitrate by the plants.

Great pictures and admire the beauty of the fish!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Here is an update on the wife's tank. I have decided to change up the look. enjoy

before

after

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wow beautiful tanks!! What an assortment of healthy fish!! I think you 2 should consider our 420, lots of room for fish and big driftwood ;)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm using turface it's clay. You can get a 50 lb bag for $ 20 with taxes from evergro. It's great stuff and it will take along time for it to break down.

Just curious, what are you using for your gravel substrate?
Thanks Shane. But I think the big acrylic tank you have would look a lot better than the 420 . When you are ready to sell it let me know.....

Wow beautiful tanks!! What an assortment of healthy fish!! I think you 2 should consider our 420, lots of room for fish and big driftwood ;)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Look's great Dave! Love the Parkinsoni!
Is the Parkisoni the rainbow in the last pic on post #31? Is that the normal color of them or is that an odd colored one? If that's their normal color, I need to get me a few of those :D

Beautiful set up Dave.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks.Yeah they are the ones with the orange colour. They are imo the best looking rainbows when fully grown.

Is the Parkisoni the rainbow in the last pic on post #31? Is that the normal color of them or is that an odd colored one? If that's their normal color, I need to get me a few of those :D

Beautiful set up Dave.
Thanks . I can't wait come over and check out your set ups.

I really like the new look with the roots all on one side. Great looking tank!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Very nice, Dave. Great job with the rescape. The vertical branches look really great.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Very nice, Dave. Great job with the rescape. The vertical branches look really great.
Thanks. Ever since i added the branches the cories have been more active and don't hide as much. The Peruvian angels love playing in the branches.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
It has been a while since I posted any thing about this tank. It has been a very busy few months. Having to deal with illness , home reno's and bonsai's taking up most of my time. The plants grew out of control. I kept up with the water changes but i just didn't have the time to trim the plants bake. Here are a few pictures.

Here is the tank before I got rid of some of the plants Not much light was getting through the bottom.

plants went crazy outside the tank.

the top of the tank is completely covered with floating plants

here is the tank after i got rid of some plants

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Dave,

Thats looks great! What growth beneath and above water! How did you manage to keep the above surface growth from drying out? The peruvian angels must love the setup with the branches and roots from the plants providing cover.Its interesting how any fish behaviour changes when you add shade or cover.Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow, that growth is amazing. I also wonder how you avoided everything above water drying out? Love the pics of this tank...before AND after overgrowth! :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks the plants above have roots . The philodendron the large one on the left has gone crazy . I took a 3" clipping from my mom's place now it's close to 10 ft long.

Wow, that growth is amazing. I also wonder how you avoided everything above water drying out? Love the pics of this tank...before AND after overgrowth! :)
Thanks . The plants have roots. The angels are doing well . The fish seem to like it both ways .
Dave,

Thats looks great! What growth beneath and above water! How did you manage to keep the above surface growth from drying out? The peruvian angels must love the setup with the branches and roots from the plants providing cover.Its interesting how any fish behaviour changes when you add shade or cover.Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Tank Update. Picture warning.

Here is an update on my wife's tank Enjoy
Here is the tank before a cleaning . The tank has been neglected for a while .

41 - 60 of 133 Posts