British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are testing the BC market on further exotic Betta. Each location has a single pair of Betta channoides. These are beautiful little fish rarely seen in the hobby. They are offered at $79.99 per pair and will likely not be this price again. Betta such as these generally are available at much higher prices but we re hoping at this price level, more hobbyists will give them a try.:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Channoides is a paternal mouthbrooder and the male incubates from 10 to 15 days with 12 days being very consistent. Incubation time can vary with water temperature. Females normally initiate spawning. Normally between 3 to 40 fry are released.
(from http://ibcbettas.org/smp/species/channoides.html)

woah that's different~

do they all have that pretty black/red/white colouring?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's them! The male was not showing much color when he came in but that is normal. They are being kept in separate bowls for now, I don't think we will have them long enough to appreciate them.:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's too bad; I would love to see them before they are gone =P
maybe the stores can keep a "sample" pair, so people can put in their orders for them!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
That is a really cool idea, Scholz! Since you have already been successful at breeding bettas and very few of us will ever get up the nerve to attempt it. I'd love to visit a breeding tank at Island Pets!

Maybe Rastapus could invite a series of amateur guest breeders? You could start with the fancy bettas, and then once they've been raised and sold, someone else could breed discus or kribs? It would be so much fun, and educational! And it would take up so much less space than a shark tank...

Maybe I can setup a breeding tank in the store? And breed them there! LOL...

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great idea guys, if I were a wholesaler with time on my hands. Unfortunately busy retail stores barely have enough time to keep up with our maintenance and even then it is after hours. Not to mention overhead costs are quite high to sacrifice any space for something like that.:(

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Yeah, I guessed that it would be hard to spare the space. Too bad. (But the maintenance part -- the guest breeder would be doing the maintenance! That was the point.)

We could work it in reverse, though. We could put webcams on our breeding tanks and you could run them in your store. A virtual breeding tank display. A monitor in each of your empty display tanks should do it.

(Just kidding!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts