British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On monday one of my betta found a way across the divider and got his a$$ kicked. I thought his eye would get better on it's own with clean warm water but it doesn't look like it.

Can anyone suggest anything to help heal his eye?

right after the fight

this morning

·
Registered
567 Posts
Awe! His poor little fins are all toren up too.. looks to me like his eye is healing pretty well so far!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the day after the fight his eye looked a little better, like how it is now. it's still pretty big and cloudy and isn't getting any better since tuesday so Im wondering if theres anything I could use to help heal him up faster??

·
Registered
549 Posts
good clean warm water and a little salt... The salt will help with his slim coat and help him heal faster.... You could add Betta Fix or Melafix etc etc... I don't trust melafix myself

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heres a better pic of how it look today. It looks like his eye could be falling off :(

could I use salt if i have plants in the tank? i have ferns, moss, marimos, and bacopa. I heard bettafix/melafix is bad for bettas so i won't be using them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
use 1 tsp per gallon it won't hurt your plants.... it's just help mister betta form a good slim coat...

also an indian almond leaf.... natural betta medicine

p.s. don't use table salt.... aquarium salt or 100 % natural sea salt with no iodine...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have api aquariam salt but 10 teaspoon for my 10g seems like a lot??

I\ve been meaning to get some IAL.. now seems like a good time... do you know where to get them locally?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
1 teaspoon per 2.5 gallon!

Btw... just let it heal! I'm told that it's actually white blood cells helping it heal the eye, and eventually it heals! Just give it a week, i use to have it alot when my stupid oscars fight!

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's not alot actually I think It comes out to less than 1ppm

I wouldn't give advice to kill your fish or plants

call april or the canadian aquatic guys... they should have them...

·
Registered
549 Posts
You could always do a salt water bath.... that way you aren't salting your tank...

Use water from the tank add salt 1 tsp per liter is a good safe amount fish him out and stick him in. WATCH HIM CLOSE when he starts to get stressed fish him out and put him back in the tank... it'll help him form a good healthy slim coat, and you won't be adding salt to his tank.

http://www.bubblenest.com/betta-fish/health/health-11.php

here are some other betta fish keepers posting on baths...

I've used salt baths with goldfish.... works wonders! Haven't done it with a betta yet but imagine it works just as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i added 8 tsp of aquariam salt to the 10g last night and his eye looks a little better already :)

thanks for offering a IAL but i'll just buy some instead of taking one of yours :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Good that's perfect.... it'll help.... The reason you want to use more than the 1 tsp per 2.5 gallon is because you are treating.... The one tsp per 2.5 gallon is prevenative medicine. Fights off Velvet and other fungus attacks etc...

It's no problem at all I'd gladly give you one of my IAL's as i have 10 Beautiful A++ ones... And I'd like to help! You can use both the leaf and the salt at the same time with no harm... Or boil the leaf to make a black water extract. That you then add to tanks as needed....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not good :(

I think he might be going blind... he swims around aimlessly now and has lots of trouble finding his food. Out of all my bettas he use to have the sharpest vision, he could see and get a peice of food falling from anywhere in the tank but now he can't even if its in front of him :( I'll see if I can get some pics right now

·
Registered
549 Posts
what have you been doing?

lots of water changes?

have you been replaceing the salt with each water change?

any other meds?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
so far i've been doing 100 % WC every coueple days and adding fresh salt with each time (it's a 10g with 4 males)

heres some pics I just took right now. theres one of his good eye for reference of what it should look like :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
look like he's still got some healing to do.... I've got some food I can give you that he can't resist.... Live White Worms..... If he doesn't eat those then there is something else wrong....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
its been a couple weeks now and not much improvement.. Maybe he will never heal?? Is their a med I could try or best to just stick with the Salts?

He's got a good appitite he's just having problems finding the food through his messed up eye. I'd love to use live food for my guys but im way to squeemish to try :(

edit: I just looked at the last pics i pposted last week and it looks like he's getting worse :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts