British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after more than 24 hrs.... they got it on...

alot of the eggs went un noticed and un picked up from the bottom. He only grabed about ten and put them in the nest....

anyone know if those eggs on the bottom are a total lose now?

It's his first time.... he's nervous.... and she keeps wanting more but as soon as he's back under the nest with her he forgets about her and goes back to blowing bubbles.... She keeps wanting to spawn more... He keeps being young and stupid...

Scholz

Posted this question on a betta site too....

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it would apear they aren't done yet..... they stopped for like an hour.... now they are back at it....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The bottom ones should be a loss already if it's been there over an hour! They lose oxygen and there's bacteria on the bottom that will eat them away!
Usually first spawns are awfully small, i use to breed alot of CT's and DT's... first spawn has gone from 10-50, and max i've ever had wuz maybe around 60-80!

Good luck, hope someone else can help too!~

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
btw, if i were you, i would of already fished out the female! I've tried multiple times with the female in and out, and i find that the success rate wuz much better without the female!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well they have been spawning over and over and over and over and over....

once the male cashes her away and they are done done i'm going to take her out...

she eats the ones off the bottom that the male doesn't get

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
That is such a beautiful movie! I've never seen anything like that! And your tank looks great, too. Is that male betta from the little garden that hangs on your wall?

Congratulations! They are lucky to have someone knowledgeable and experienced helping them along. Keep us posted!

I have a very nice male betta upstairs and a healthy female betta downstairs but I have never put them on the same floor, let alone into the same tank. I would be too nervous that something would happen to one of them.

However, my baby killies are growing. I don't know how many there are, but there are a few at least and they're different sizes. I'm slowly lowering the gh in their tank. The babies are on 3 kinds of baby food plus brine shrimp. I don't ever see them eat but they've got their parents' huge eyes that follow my fingers as I feed them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is such a beautiful movie! I've never seen anything like that! And your tank looks great, too. Is that male betta from the little garden that hangs on your wall?

Congratulations! They are lucky to have someone knowledgeable and experienced helping them along. Keep us posted!

I have a very nice male betta upstairs and a healthy female betta downstairs but I have never put them on the same floor, let alone into the same tank. I would be too nervous that something would happen to one of them.

However, my baby killies are growing. I don't know how many there are, but there are a few at least and they're different sizes. I'm slowly lowering the gh in their tank. The babies are on 3 kinds of baby food plus brine shrimp. I don't ever see them eat but they've got their parents' huge eyes that follow my fingers as I feed them.
She's an older betta that i got in a trade for a white worm starter culture....

Being that she's older she shouldn't have spawned so I am really lucky. I was about to give up when I looked over and saw them in the embrace.

Yes he is the same guy from the wall garden! I figured he deserved to breed at least once.

These two actually treated each other very nicely durring the whole spawning operation. No torn fins or any damage of any kind! There was alot of chaseing but no real fighting. I put her into the tank in a one liter plastic bottle cut in half for two day's before I realeased her into the tank. After about 30 hours of nothing happening but chaseing I recaputred her and put her next to the bubble nest in the plastic bottle again. Fed him and her. Then after about 4 hours released her again..... about an hour later is when they went at it. The first few spawns he didn't collect the eggs.... They just sat on the bottom. Then they took a brake and went back at it with a vengance. After each spawn she would cruise the bottom and eat any eggs he didn't pickup. then swim backup to the nest and spawn again. Was awesome to watch had my face pressed aganst the glass.

Me being me.... I'm not following the instructions that are out there for spawning betta's. I.E. The tank isn't bare bottom. The tank is cycled and has alot of plants and moss with more moss being added after the fry are free swimming. Hopefully providing them with enough food. We'll see what happens. I'm going to feed the fry microworms... then switch to bbs and decapped brine shrimp.... fingers crossed!

With any luck i'll get some combtail betta's

The Combtail Betta is a fringe-finned type that usually arises as a result of a cross between a ST (singletail, non-fringe betta) and a CT (crowntail, fringe-finned betta). Instead of having the minimum 33% reduction in webbing that designates a true Crowntail, the Combtail has a slightly spikey appearance.

Breeding CT x HM has also given rise to the development of what is commonly called a HALF SUN -- Combtail Halfmoon. This is a very beautiful type.

that info is reposted from this website http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/tailfinforms.php

This is practice for the killifish.... First killifish eggs should be ready to hatch on the 20th next month.... The hardest to raise fry are the eggs that are up first.... :cool: we'll see if i'm ready for the challange.

what range are you going to keep the GH at?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Hi Scholz,

I'm not sure what range I'm aiming for with the gh. I've kept the tank at the same level that the store keeps them in (10 drops) and I'm lowering it on your advice. You said they like soft and acidic water, so I could theoretically lower it to zero. However, I think I`ll just lower it slowly and then stop lowering it if they lose their colours or their tendency to spawn all day long.

By the way, I have a very pretty and healthy female betta. She is blue and I was told that she`s a half moon. If you`d ever like to borrow her for spawning, you`re very welcome to. I`d take her home again afterwards. However, she has quite a dominant personality.

m

She's an older betta that i got in a trade for a white worm starter culture....

Being that she's older she shouldn't have spawned so I am really lucky. I was about to give up when I looked over and saw them in the embrace.
what range are you going to keep the GH at?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I remember when my bettas were at it, it seemed like he just didn't know what he was doing, and missing alot of the eggs. However, there was about 50 or so already in the bubble nest. Don't underestimate him yet, he might have a full nest already!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
don't go to zero.... I'd go half way 5 drops....

Hi Scholz,

I'm not sure what range I'm aiming for with the gh. I've kept the tank at the same level that the store keeps them in (10 drops) and I'm lowering it on your advice. You said they like soft and acidic water, so I could theoretically lower it to zero. However, I think I`ll just lower it slowly and then stop lowering it if they lose their colours or their tendency to spawn all day long.

By the way, I have a very pretty and healthy female betta. She is blue and I was told that she`s a half moon. If you`d ever like to borrow her for spawning, you`re very welcome to. I`d take her home again afterwards. However, she has quite a dominant personality.

m

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got fry..... now he just needs to not eat them for 2 to 3 days until they are free swiming...

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
You've got fry already! Congratulations! That is outstanding! He's going to make a great dad, too.

I noticed that you were testing the water parameters. What are you aiming for, with temp, pH, gh, etc? Anything specific? Or were you just trying to make sure that the ammonia and nitrite levels were at 0?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just making sure that the tank had cycled 100 %

Ammonia was 0 ish
Nitrite was 0
Nitrate was 10 ppm

Ph was 7.5

Temperature was 24 / 25 celcius

There is a handfull of peat in there tons of moss and plants and lots of micro life for them to eat once they are free swimming....

fingers crossed!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have somewhere between 8 and 11 fry...

Alot of eggs didn't make it as someone munched on them... Either because they were infertile or because they got attacked by fungus... Also this is his and mine first go at breeding so we've both maken mistake. I know if I breed him again there will be a higher egg and hatch rate.

I didn't add any salt or anti fungal medications to the tank.

Last night I added a IAL Which i should have done way back before I even started this.

1 to 2 days to go for free swimming fry....

There are alot of paramecium and other good fry munching things in the tank So I probably won't feed them for the first 4 days after fry swimming.

Once they are free swimming I'm going to be adding more Moss to the tank as well.

fingers crossed!

Also It is amazing to think that such beautiful fish come from fry so so so so small! I can see how breeding Betta's can be addictive!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
What is an IAL?

I can see how breeding Bettas can be addictive, too! I thought that it would be extremely difficult, that's one reason I've never tried it.

I wonder if your bettas know they are among the luckiest bettas in Vancouver; not only having a planted tank as their nursery, but they've been born into a household with multiple worm cultures in every size. You don't find that just anywhere!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is an IAL?

I can see how breeding Bettas can be addictive, too! I thought that it would be extremely difficult, that's one reason I've never tried it.

I wonder if your bettas know they are among the luckiest bettas in Vancouver; not only having a planted tank as their nursery, but they've been born into a household with multiple worm cultures in every size. You don't find that just anywhere!
IAL = Indian Almond Leaf....

There are pretty happy.... and I'm lucky to have such great fish.

I think The only reason I was able to get my old female betta to breed was because of the white worm culture. She's something like 2 years old. The older they get the harder it is to breed them! 4 to 6 months being prime betta breeding time. Betta's are sapossed to be a little tricky as their are alot of things that can go wrong right up to the free swimming fry stage. Most of those things are mister betta eating everything in sight. Every report I read said don't feed mister betta.... well I've been feeding him. I just don't think it's fair to make him stay up and work hard 24 hours a day for 5 days without a snack.

That might be the reason I've only got about 10 fry... but who knows.... only way to really know is to not feed him next time.... If there is a next time.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The fry aren't free swimming yet but they are all horizontal under the nest and mister betta has lost intrest in tending the nest so i've taken him out and switched off the light... also added more moss and took some of the duck weed that was going crazy out. Tomorrow morining i'll turn on the sponge filter... to a really slow bubble.... won't feed them for about 4 days as there is TONS of micro food in the tank as it is.... There's more plants and moss in the tank than water almost...

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I don't understand why people wouldn't feed the father? He IS working hard (or in your guy's case, was) and you'd think that if he wasn't fed, he'd look upon his offspring as tasty snacks. Especially as they probably closely resemble his favourite food, white worms...

IAL = Indian Almond Leaf....

There are pretty happy.... and I'm lucky to have such great fish.

I think The only reason I was able to get my old female betta to breed was because of the white worm culture. She's something like 2 years old. The older they get the harder it is to breed them! 4 to 6 months being prime betta breeding time. Betta's are sapossed to be a little tricky as their are alot of things that can go wrong right up to the free swimming fry stage. Most of those things are mister betta eating everything in sight. Every report I read said don't feed mister betta.... well I've been feeding him. I just don't think it's fair to make him stay up and work hard 24 hours a day for 5 days without a snack.

That might be the reason I've only got about 10 fry... but who knows.... only way to really know is to not feed him next time.... If there is a next time.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts