British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
have anyone experienced Bio Cube - Coralife bulb failure?

What 'should' be the life of a coralife/Actini c24 watt 13" bulb.

I got 6 or 7 months out of them that seems short

Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
Check your ballast (swap out the bulb and see if it still doesn't switch on)... My ballast on my Biocube died after what I would not consider a very long time. :( I haven't gotten around to replacing it but I'm sure the bulb still works (will find out if/when I replace the ballast).

·
Registered
851 Posts
As self-contained tanks such as these tend to trap heat (which drastically shortens bulb life) this time frame seems about right to me.

effective life of the bulbs for coral growth is generally 3-6 months, likely closer to the 3 month mark as these hotboxes tend lower bulb lifespans

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I had one that lasted may be 6 months. The rest seems to be running forever - well at least till one of the tank decide to crack one night. Just like any light bulbs, some could burn out within a few hours and some run for years and years.

I "think" the bulb and ballast burns out faster because the hot bulb in a enclosed plastic housing without the benefit of the heat sink effect of an aluminum housing. I would make sure that the two fans are running top notch by blasting them with compressed air to see if that help.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you want to make your Biocube quieter + flow better, I'd suggest getting replacement fans and then opening up the plastic vents a bit. I'll take a shot of mine to show you what I ended up doing, but it seems to help quite a bit. The air coming out isn't anywhere as close to as hot as it was before.

Thanks!
verkion

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know about the bulb being cheap at $30 each!

I don't think it is a heat issue, the tank is on an island between the kitchen and living room with central air conditioning set to 68 year around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts