British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are black widow spiders common around here? In the last 2 days i've come across 5 in my house. If I only found one or two it woulnd't be a problem but 5 in 2 days seems bad... it worries me because I think their pretty dangorous to have around?? maybe we have or had a nest in the house :(

Today was the final straw when I lifted up a rag on the floor in bathroom and a widow landed on my foot. I don't think I've EVER screamed that loud in my life! I've also caught my cats playing with one so it worries me that them or the dogs could get poisoned or killed...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I see them all the time, but then again I'm in Maple Ridge and I live on 1 acre so for some reason they might be common around here, but I usually find just wolf spiders (shiver.....) and black widows outside, so I don't know but my kitten plays with the wolf spider and It's huge! But I don't know have too research!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've never seeen them here before. it really scares me that i've found 5 in the house in two days :( I hope we don't have a nest or something.

I't doesn't help that im absolutly terrified of spiders. im scared to go to sleep now :( I just looked it up and looks like if the cats eat one or play with them they should be fine but it doesn't help that they can still hurt me :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
All I can say is eewwwh! I just hate spiders and I either whap them with my slipper or wash them down the drain if I find them in my bathtub. Can't say I've seen black widows in my apartment here in south Burnaby, just the occasional wolf spider. Perhaps we're seeing more of these critters around because we've had such a mild winter.:eek:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey littlereefer, you know this question begs to be asked. How big are those suckers that live downstairs? Are they big enough that you can put licence plates on them? Can you put leashes on them and take them out for walks?:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Black Widow Spiders do live around here, they normally habitate older structures in mostly undisterbed areas...Even with an infestation it is highly unlikely to be bitten, as they will only attack when threatened, there is also the False Black Widow Spider (AKA) Cupboard Spider that live in our area...Here is a link that may help you a little...

http://www.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity/efauna/spiders.html

Dean

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have black widows out here too. It's strange to see them unless you look in their hiding spots though. I've never seen one out in the open. They like it cool and damp and usually hide in old tires, woodpiles, crawlspaces, etc. I haven't been bit by one but it is supposed to be quite painful and not usually fatal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
PETLAUR: Its a bout 3 inches across both ways, few more days I could start walking them, and if one bites me I don't care I'll smoosh it with the license plate then It WILL be the size of the license plate, loll

·
Registered
773 Posts
I grew up in Lillooet and we had many many, to many of them up there. I have never been bitten nor have any of my pets, so like Dean stated the chances of them bitting you are pretty slim. Just keep an eye out and you will be fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
PETLAUR: Its a bout 3 inches across both ways, few more days I could start walking them, and if one bites me I don't care I'll smoosh it with the license plate then It WILL be the size of the license plate, loll[/

LMAO! Ookay, I will definitely not want to visit your downstairs & you can put up a sign "BEWARE! GUARD SPIDERS ON DUTY!"

Thought that black widows preferred drier climes and that hobo spiders' bites were the ones to fear here in southwest BC.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I really doubt they are black widows. Did you get a good look at the underside and see a red hourglass? If not, I would agree with Dean that they are very likely a Steatoda sp. I have seen these in my house and they look exactly like a black widow, except they are a bit larger and have no hourglass. How big were they? Black widows are really quite small, usually no larger than your fingernail.
Steatoda grossa
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4566/scan0015tz6.jpg

We also don't really have wolf spiders in our area, what you are seeing are common house spiders or Tegenaria duellica.
http://www.sfu.ca/~roitberg/lab/people/maxence/tduellica.jpg

Black Widows tend to stick to the drier places like Litton, Okanagan etc.
Hobo spiders aren't too common here yet, though I'm sure they are coming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just be careful when you buy grapes, they are dormant in your fridge till you take them out, we had a black widow in our grapes we got from costco, just as my little girl wanted grapes and seen it crawling around in the container omg......

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tanks for Tots,

That's a good read. I used to a lot of widows in the interior. I have seen some that look similar to widows in Burnaby but I will have to look closer next time. Maybe false widows..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts