British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys.

im posting this up elsewhere, but thought i might drop it in here as well.

my girlfriend's friend seems to have an obsession with trying to marry people just so they can come and live and work in canada.

first off it was one guy. he got deported, and she has openly said (about illegally marrying) "i dont care. they deserve to have our healthcare and economy just as much as we do."

she's a hardcore hippy. one of those "i can save the world all by myself" people. She's already tried to pull it with one guy, but luckily he dropped her ass.

now she is overseas (been there a few weeks), and is dating a local guy. she has now extended her stay a few weeks, and has let it be known that she is bringing him home to marry. she has no job, he has no job or education, and from past experiences, they would be happy to live off of taxpayer money.

in my opinion this is enough. i probably sound like a complete racist, but race has nothing to do with it. I would have a problem with this no matter who/what/where is happened.

My question is: who would I speak to with the immigration service about blocking this? i had a brief look on their website and couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If you want, just email them!
It is illegal not to tell the truth ya know! =) That's just how Canada runs!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Getting married is not enough to immigrate. The Canadian has to apply and be approved as a sponsor - the first thing they look at for that is your ability to support your spouse financially. With out a job there is little chance of being approved.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
well i agree with you that enough is enough. I normally work and put in my fair share and have never abused EI, and avoid welfare at all costs. People like her are the type that ruin it for people seeking legit claims. I've known people who did indeed have to get married in order for them to stay in the country, but they actually were married legally (ceremony at a later date) and for the right reasons and are still married 10 years later happily (and both work and contribute to society).

If something like this actually goes through and it ends up her being used by the person she brings in, she can be on the hook for him financially, especially if he decides to use welfare services himself as she'll be a sponsor to him. That sort of thing will have a long term impact, possibly past her save the world screw the system phase

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Yes, you can send an email to their contact at Immigrations Canada and the right person, hopefully, will contact you for more info.

This sort of crap POs me and almost every Canadian I think.

Anthony

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sometimes I curse the fact that I was born in Canada, because that makes me a citizen of the only country in the world that can't take advantage of the free ride Canada gives any and every immigrant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input everyone.

im going to continue researching it. when she told me this before i flipped out on her and it ended real ugly. i told her that if she ever tried it again that i would immigration waiting at the arrival gate. i wasnt joking.

my father is an immigrant, but came her as a doctor (engineering) and has always contributed. i am all for immigration, but only if it is legit.

i also want to carry through with this for her own good. a family member of mine made the same decision and ended up abused and flat out of cash. she expects it to be a dream come true, yet has barely known the dude for a month.

the best part is her mother's reaction, "they're going to have beautiful children."

really? that's your reason for ok-ing this bizarre event????

·
Registered
600 Posts
go for it! report this. i'm an immigrant myself and i hate people coming in to canada illegally. refugees.... sure why not but they still have to prove that are in danger or some sort in their country of origin, right? t

hat's the common scapegoat nowadays too. i'm a refugee, canada will embrace me. then after a few months. they will start selling drugs on the street, putting up grow ops and things like that. i don't know......

·
Registered
179 Posts
From what I hear though I'm not sure if it's true or maybe it's just in the states. She can be on the hook for any welfare that he claims for the first few years of immigration. Unless she plans to be a bum for the next few years....she's going to lose all her potential future earnings to to gov't. Maybe that'll be a wake up call

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
thanks for the input everyone.

im going to continue researching it. when she told me this before i flipped out on her and it ended real ugly. i told her that if she ever tried it again that i would immigration waiting at the arrival gate. i wasnt joking.

my father is an immigrant, but came her as a doctor (engineering) and has always contributed. i am all for immigration, but only if it is legit.

i also want to carry through with this for her own good. a family member of mine made the same decision and ended up abused and flat out of cash. she expects it to be a dream come true, yet has barely known the dude for a month.

the best part is her mother's reaction, "they're going to have beautiful children."

really? that's your reason for ok-ing this bizarre event????
im proud cuz my daughter can do what every human ancestor in history has done, shes special.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Sometimes I curse the fact that I was born in Canada, because that makes me a citizen of the only country in the world that can't take advantage of the free ride Canada gives any and every immigrant.
I have a major problem with the statement that Canada gives every immigrant a free ride. I think thats an unfair and to be blunt, a pretty ******* statement :mad:

I came to Canada as a 10 year old, finished elementary school here, went to high school, got my undergrad and grad degree, paying for it through working part time and summer jobs and have been 100% gainfully employed since.

I'm unsure how I as an immigrant have gotten a free ride from Canada.

Your statement also implies that no immigrant has ever made it on their own in Canada, got a job, got a mortgage or owned their own company, hiring other immigrants or Canadians born in Canada(your words)

I would love to hear your explanation please? if no reasonable explanation is forthcoming from the poster of the comment, then I think that the mods should ban the poster for using BC Aquaria to spread his biased and inaccurate views of all immigrants to Canada.

Aren't there laws against spreading such hate propoganda?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have a major problem with the statement that Canada gives every immigrant a free ride. I think thats an unfair and to be blunt, a pretty ******* statement :mad:

I came to Canada as a 10 year old, finished elementary school here, went to high school, got my undergrad and grad degree, paying for it through working part time and summer jobs and have been 100% gainfully employed since.

I would love to hear your explanation please?
X2. I'm immigrant too . I have worked hard for every thing i have gotten and have watched my mom get screwed by the same government that is supposedly giving out free rides .....

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

Your statement also implies that no immigrant has ever made it on their own in Canada, got a job, got a mortgage or owned their own company, hiring other immigrants or Canadians born in Canada(your words)

I would love to hear your explanation please? if no reasonable explanation is forthcoming from the poster of the comment, then I think that the mods should ban the poster for using BC Aquaria to spread his biased and inaccurate views of all immigrants to Canada.

you got trolled, she was clearly making a joke.

all of our relatives here immigrated to canada at one point. saying she implied no immigrant ever made it on their own in canada is pretty retarded, almost worthy of slapping your chest while saying it...
you do realise how young this country is right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well you're friend couldnt bring him over because she would have to proove she can support him.He would no be able to go on the system.There are differnt laws for refuge.There is a system in place for this issue.But our imigration laws are the slackest in Canada.I'm for the imigration act.
I've read allot of racisim fingerpointing in this thread.Theres lots of legal
marijuana growops.Bad people may have been born right here.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
you got trolled, she was clearly making a joke.

all of our relatives here immigrated to canada at one point. saying she implied no immigrant ever made it on their own in canada is pretty retarded, almost worthy of slapping your chest while saying it...
you do realise how young this country is right?
Yes, as a matter of fact I do realize how young a country Canada is, my undergrad is in Canadian History.

Thanks for letting me know I'm retarded. I would never have known that without your insight.

·
Registered
496 Posts

Thats because you came here as a legitimate immigrant who actually planned on contributing to society. And TBH its not fair to you guys either. Believe me I have worked with charities like coats for kids and have seen and spoken with many immigrant families who actually DO fall through the cracks.

My issue it with how Canada deals with persons claiming refugee status. Absolutely ANYONE can fly to our Canada, claim refugee status and live on the taxpayer's dollar until their claim is approved. Which isn't bad in itself, right, because there are a lot of legit refugees who choose to make a home in Canada. Problem is, the average time the gov't takes to process a refugee time is a couple of years. A good few have even been pending for up to 8 years. I mean come on, there are white people from BRITAIN claiming refugee status in Canada. Really?

Also, take a look at crime and immigration. Vancouver is a known hotspot for criminals from overseas. If you want to come to Canada and contribute to society, great. Maybe you make a mistake or two, a mild assault or other offence, you deserve as much of a second chance as a citizen. But when people like my former neighbors can get their grow op busted, then set it up AGAIN in the SAME HOUSE after a few months, and fund it with government assistance money, that's not cool.

I just re-read my first statement and I apologize, I sincerely wasn't thinking when I was typing and used the wrong word: immigrant. I really should have been more specific than 'immigrant' and said what I meant above. I guess at the time I thought that the issues in Canada's immigration laws were so famous that everyone would know what I was talking about in saying they get a 'free ride'.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts