British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first noticed a small plum sized soft lump on my 14 year old dogs leg on saturday. A few minutes ago I just looked over and noticed blood all over his bed and then lots of blood oozing out of the lump....

I called the vet and we have an app't for 5pm but in the mean time has anyone seen this or knows what it could be or if its really serious? thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
All I can think of is that in humans, bleeding moles are a sign of melanoma. Perhaps it is a skin tumor of sorts?

My second guess your be a cyst or abscess but in that case you would be seeing fluid or pus (respectively) rather than blood so that seems very unlikely. So in my inexpert opinion it doesn't sound like an infection.

Was the lump hard, firm, spongy or squishy?

·
Registered
485 Posts
You can boil yourself a cup of orange peakoe tea.. Then as the bag is cooler (but still warm) compress to the area.. It contains anti-inflammatories as well as natural antibacterial stuff. I use it on my dogs owees when they wont stop bleeding.... Hang in there its really stressful when your pup is hurt....

Let us know what the vet says....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im not having good pet luck today :( my cat was throwing up all morning, my oldest betta is dieing and now Max is bleeding like mad :(

anyways it looks like just blood is comming out, nothing else. It is REALLY squishy and everytime I touched it blood with rush out....I'll try the tea method for some relief. Thanks guys :)

Im trying to not let him walk around but when he does he walks fine.

heres a pic of the owie and one of him just chillin :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
He is a very pretty fella, hope it is nothing serious.

I know my cat had a bump on his neck from who know what, and the gf asked me to look at it. So I did and once I moved all the hair out of the way I found a small scab that I touched ever so lightly and BAM so much puff came out, followed by dark blood. It was so nasty, I ended up just cleaning the area with a warm cloth, put some pollyform on it then pet him till he fell asleep.

In the morning he was back to his normal self.

In your photo my 1st guess is a cyst or abscess, but I'm no vet and it's hard to tell anything in a photo.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is a very pretty fella, hope it is nothing serious.

I know my cat had a bump on his neck from who know what, and the gf asked me to look at it. So I did and once I moved all the hair out of the way I found a small scab that I touched ever so lightly and BAM so much puff came out, followed by dark blood. It was so nasty, I ended up just cleaning the area with a warm cloth, put some pollyform on it then pet him till he fell asleep.

In the morning he was back to his normal self.

In your photo my 1st guess is a cyst or abscess, but I'm no vet and it's hard to tell anything in a photo.
it does look like he had a little sore in the middle of his lump too. He might have been licking and it opened up causing all the blood to come out.

Part of me wants to just gently release all the blood myself and clean the wound and moniter it but I think I better just take him in or I might regret it if it turns out to be very serious

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hey Kaisa

I would not release the fluid inside yourself. My cat had an abscess on her back, I squeezed it out myself but it just kept filling up again. Cici's was puss mixed with blood though.

Whenever she has a sore or anything I use a warm salt water cloth. The heat will draw any infection to the surface and the salt will clean the site.

In the end Cici had to have surgery to clean out the abscess and it never came back.

I hope that it turns out to be nothing serious and just do what you can to keep him comfortable.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You already have a vet appointment at 5. I would treat symptoms ie Bleeding. Wrap it up, if you have a first aid kit put sterile guaze (sp). Then pack it off with pads to absorb the blood. If you get to panic mode with bleeding and blood loss forget about waiting till 5. Pack the dog in the car and go to the vet immediately. I'm offering to assist, but I don't have the car and have a 2 yr old with me today. Any questions pm me

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys :)

I didn;t think I could wait until 5pm so I called the vet and they said I could bring him in at 2:15 instead so not much longer till we leave. Right now he's just laying on his bed with paper towel under the wound.

He will not stop licking at it so he's got his cone on now and looking pretty pitiful :(

Will update once we get home

·
Registered
614 Posts
No harm in going now in case they can squeeze you in a little early, most people don't mind an emergency case going ahead of them

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go figure as soon as we got there his lump had magically disapeared. Strange. It must of just been filled with only blood. The vet is just having me soak it in epsom salt twice a day before we do any drastic (expensive) testings then go back in 7 days for a check up. He also did a Cytology and just found puss cells.

The sore looks REALLY bad and really raw right now. I feel bad for my boy cause it looks so bad but at least he doesnt seem to be in any pain or discomfort.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I see them all the time on old dogs. Especially sheltie type dogs and old dogs. They get purple and hard all it takes is a touch with something and they burst. Bleed. Like anything. It may fill again

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yikes! Sounds like an ordeal! Glad it's looking OK now.

Not sure if it would be the same thing, but a couple years ago my cat got a wound on his neck, and it swelled up to about the size of a ping pong ball, then burst and was all open and nasty. Best we could figure is it was a bite or scratch from another cat that got infected.

Could he have injured himself on something, and it got infected?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see them all the time on old dogs. Especially sheltie type dogs and old dogs. They get purple and hard all it takes is a touch with something and they burst. Bleed. Like anything. It may fill again
yeah it was a little purple then bled like a cup of blood when it burst. very weird.

Now it just looks plain disgusting. the vet said not to cone him and it was okay for him to lick but I left him alone for an hour and he really messed it up bad..he has his cone on now until tonight when I can clean/soak then bandage him up.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Keep the cone on if you want... when we had to cast my dog's leg he licked the toes sticking out of the cast until they were raw and weeping. Just make sure he doesn't get THAT obsessed with the licking!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts