British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen these fish in numerous stores over the last couple of months and I am thinking of a purchasing a few of them. Just wondering what I have in store if I go ahead with them. I have read up on them but would like to hear from people that are presently keeping them or have kept them in the past.

thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've kept them in the past and they're very hardy.
They seem to like regular aquarium salt. Every few WC I would add some salt to the tank and they rub themselves all over it.
Don't keep with aggressive or fish that's too fast.
Because they can't fully close their mouths, it's hard for them to eat the food. So if u keep them with quick fish, the parrot would never be able to eat.
But because they can't close their mouth, they cant nip fins.
Mine use to always try and bump into my clown loaches to get them out of the way during feeding time. Theyre cichlids so they tend to have a bit of aggressiveness to them, but they can't really do any damage because of their mouth deformity.

I consider them pretty dumb fish... but they do look nice. Especially with a few of them in a tank.

I only had one that died sometime last year. Grew it out when it was just a baby with only grey in colour. Was neat watching it grow and turning bright red/orange. Sometimes I still miss that little sucker

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay so I purchased 5 blood parrot cichlids from King Eds a few weeks back...basically the end of February. when I bought them they were about the 1.5-2" inches in length and nice and healthy. I have them in 220 gallon tank with some pearl, blue and gold gouramis, a couple of anglefish and a couple of plecos. some clown loaches and a variety of coreys. I cannot believe how veracious these guys when it comes to feeding time. I have an auto feeder that feeds them the same time every day and it drops in several parrot pellets at feeding time...the parrots damn near jump out of the water when those pellets drop. I can actually squeeze flake food in my fingers and they will come up and bump it from my fingers. When I walk up to the tank all five of them line up and look at me. The funny thing is they play with the clown loaches and have made my clowns more social cause the parrots chase the clowns out of their hiding spots and then the clowns chase the parrots around they too come greet me at the tank now, whereas before the clowns would only come out of hiding when the moonlights were on or if I stood way back from my tank. what a fun fish to experience...I am hoping these five grow as big as some of the others I have seen around some of the local fish shops...if all goes well they should.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts