British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I'm seriously suggesting on getting a few fish, more like a cleaning crew for these 1.5" Dats and 2-3" Flagtails! They're making a HUGE mess when eating! what's the best fish to clean up there mess? Doesn't matter if it's a bottom feeder or not, but keep in mind, the tank's heavily planted, dun want anything uprooting or destroyed! :( I'm just confused what I should try... maybe a school of corydoras?

Thanks, any suggestions would be great! I just need something that'll do the job and survive!

·
Registered
766 Posts
loaches / catfish / stingrays ;) haha
my clean up crew are ripsaw catfish, motoro, tig / jurense catfish
hope it helps =D

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhhh... loaches that'll survive? I know medium clownloach will, but will destroy my plants! I'm seriously getting confused what to do now =(

Ripsaw gets too big too fast, and rays? I had bad experience and not the biggest fan =) no offense to ray lovers, I just can't keep them properly! Anyone else?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Wood eating plecos would get too much protein from that tank. I would consider a vampire pleco (L240) or Three Beacon (L91). Both of those will be > 6" when fully grown so you have to consider that. A Sultan (L264) would do well in that environment and stays smaller, but might get beat up in the environment.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sigh.... I'm not the biggest fan of pleco! As I already have a sailfin pleco that got a little too big than expected, I'm a little scared from plecos already! LOL!
So Clownloaches... but would corydoras species do okay? Like a small school?
=( Anything else?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
You're not a big fan because you have a sailfin. :D Remember that I used to have one and got rid of it. Sailfins and very territorial and aggressive as they get bigger and they get big fast.

As for Cories, a school of bigger ones would be nice, but I'd be concerned that your Dats may view them as food as they get bigger, but Cories would be much more efficient at scouring the bottom clean of food and also produce less waste than plecos. I have 30 or so in my 125 gallon also and love them. If I didn't have my cichlids I would get more, but I've lost a few and worry that a) they get eaten, and b) the cory can get lodged in the throat of the cichlid.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the heads up!
How about clownloaches? I hear that their spikes around the eyes will tear up plants!

I'm really considering corydoras! Dun need nuttin fancy, just something to do the job! LOL!

The dats... I might need to plan for a bigger tank later on! But right now, I'm trying not to add ANYTHING at all, I'm trying to give as much tank space as I can! Anyways, I'm very uncertain what to do now!
I need a few cleaners... and ones that'll survive!

Oh crap... forgot to mention... there's a sengalus polypterus in there! Would i experience problems with him? he's about 5 inch or bigger... he's a little.. umm... fiesty... I've had him for 2 years and can't give him up =(

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well with that in there, cories would not have a chance. I'd just skip it and do more tank maintenance.
OMG!!! Are you serious?
I really really dun wanna dump him back in his 29 gallon :( he's been happily living there with his bestfriend "the pleco"!
Sigh.. should i fish him out and add cories?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
geo usually stay around 6". Will clean up left over food very well.
Humm... hard to decide!
I want something under the 2" mark... I'm trying to give as much clean water as possible to these guys! so that's my tough decision right now.. i really dunno what to do... starting to find that these fish can't mix in! :(

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you want as clean water as possible, don't add anything. Anything you add will add bioload. Just vacuum the bottom after feeding with an electric vacuum that recirculates the water.
Can you explain a little more in details of what you mean?
And Im starting to get confused after reading how people feed! Some people are feeding once a day, some people are feed 3 times a day! What I'm hearing from people is that they feed once a day purposely just to keep the water more pristine, but what I know is feeding small meals 3 times a day is better for the growth of the fish... not sure what I should decide! Any insights from the pros here? :D

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Well, the fish use up oxygen and excrete urine and feces. Adding more fish will never make the tank cleaner. It's really as simple as that.

You got the gist of the feeding right, if you want less waste, feed less but more often. Feeding once a day with lots of food would probably end up with more leftovers.

For people who claim to keep water quality better, they are essentially keeping the food supply restricted to limit waste, such as not feeding before shipping fish and not feeding while they are on holidays to limit the fish waste.

The best way to keep a tank clean is with maintenance. Just ask any discus keeper. Those are some of the most finicky fish out there for water quality.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahhh, my problem is when they eat ANYTHING except Tetra Color Bits, they will suck on it and spit it out! Especially those algae wafers! And when i feed carnivores pellets, they still spit and then eat again! The tiny pieces are flying EVERyWHERe =( I need someone to clean that up! And I dun want to resort to 3 water changes a week! =(

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone else?

btw... Anyone know if a 7" weather loach be a good cleaner? =) I so happen to have one hiding in my planted tank! LOL!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts