British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 120 gallon community tank with several different types of discus, some rummy nose tetras and some sterbae.

I have 2 red melons that have been spawning in the community tank, but they are both laying the eggs and keeping the others away. I have a large cobalt that has been persistently trying to get in there (I'm assuming to fertilize), but has had no luck.

I recently set up a 72 gallon tank for breeding and put one of the red melons and the cobalt together to see what happens.

My question is as follows...

Can I force a pair to mate?

Will a red melon and a cobalt even pari up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I find pairs are more compatible when you allow them to form on their own but it is possible to put a random male and female together and have them spawn. Any of the various colour morphs can be bred together. Generally the offspring from crossing a pigeon base discus such as your Red Melon with a non-pigeon such as your Cobalt will be heavily peppered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All! I've decided not to pair them. I will wait and see if I can get my hands on a male pigeon blood. I'd rather get some nice looking discus as opposed to forcing an odd match and having sub quality fry.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
That is a wise decision. Good luck in this venture.

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,246 Posts
Be patient like 6 months patient lol might take a while in the new setting good luck
April and rick give great advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts