British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So here's a bit of background info to start this off. I have two 13" Oscars and they are like best friends. They follow each other around EVERYWHERE and they pretty much do everything together. Now, I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that they are a breeding pair. So recently, I decided to try and spark up the breeding process. I setup the tank so that it fit their breeding needs (as in I raised the temp a bit, and put in a flat rock). Now right after I did this, I noticed that they immediately began clearing off the the surface of the rock. When I got home today, most of the rock was free from sand, however one thing was different. One of my Oscars seemed to be staying well away from the other Oscar. Then occasionally, the other Oscar would come by and they would sort of lock lips/bite at each other. Now they have never fought each other before so I don't know whether I should be worried. I know that locking lips is a breeding ritual but I'm not exactly sure whether they're doing that, or they're just fighting. Now as I speak, one of the Oscars is sort of hiding from the other Oscar. So basically my question is, is this normal breeding behaviour or like, what are my Oscars doing?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've seen a few types of cichlids breed and this sounds a lot like what I've seen. Can't be 100% certain as I'm not there seeing it, and I don't know your fish, but I would say they're courting right now.IMO

·
Registered
264 Posts
she is probably putting him in his place as all good wives need to do to start the husband off on the right path to happiness........
I concurr lol, with most females of any species they'll come over and check out the nesting area, and if it isn't up to standards they'll be all "fix this place slob" lol

·
Registered
727 Posts
Everything points to preparation for breeding. Regular water changes (10 - 20% once a week) may also help move the process along. Maintain the temp at about 28 degrees and just keep an eye out that one does not start bullying the other one excessively - ie one fish hiding in the corner. Even in well established pairs it can happen during the spawning process and if not separated, one may kill the other. (Their spawning ritual is pretty rough, so its difficult to assess when they need to be split.

If you manage to actually see the spawning process - also look carefully whether one or both fish are laying eggs - sometimes unproven pairs can actually turn out to be 2 females that court and spawn - obviously no successful outcome there....

Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies guys.

The Oscar has finally come out its corner and they seem to be getting along again. They worked together and nearly cleaned off the entire piece of flat rock that I gave them. They also seem to be hanging around the rock area a lot as well so I'm thinking this is a good sign. But as Fishman said, they may be just two females (I hope not). Hope something interesting happens soon.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If they are about to spawn, check the thickness of the breeding tubes - females are thicker than the males

1 - 7 of 7 Posts