British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Pleco Fans
I was talking with Ibenu the other night about cross breeding BN plecos. does anyone know what types can crossbreed with others?
We were talking about a 144 crossing with and Albino BN. I was curious which eye colour would be more recessive.
It really got me thinking though.
Love to hear any member feedback on this.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Calico LF and L144.. If its possible and could be done in a few generations, could you imagine a blue eyed LF calico? the red with the blue would look stunning!!

I forgot to show you my smoky longfin albino downstairs.. Wish I new more about line breeding to figure out how to secure that!!! Watching this thread with interest!

Lisa

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
yes almost all bristle nose will cross.
though you don't get a new color just a few each of types crossed.
i used to get L-144 and silver tips from a pair of silver tips i had in the past.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The Albinos, "L144", and common BNP's are likely all from the same stock originally, with maybe a few wilds mixed in from time to time. Nobody really has any true type L144. There was a huge long discussion about this on planetcatfish. The ones that are commonly sold as L144's now are much more attractively than the original that was logged as L144.

To answer the originally question though, I suspect all Ancistrus species can interbreed, although I haven't heard of anyone trying with the L183 with the commons, etc.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If you cross breed albino with anything else, you can expect half of them to be most likely a regular BNP.

Albino just means that they lack the genes for the color while L144's original color is the pale yellow that we see.

calico + L144 would be interesting though :D

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
the gene for albinism is recessive, if you cross an albino with anything else none of the f1 generation will be albinos at all (unless it had the recessive albino gene, in which case half of the offspring would be albinos). however if you then breed those f1's with each other you can expect 1/4 of them to be albinos, breed 2 of those albinos together and you are guaranteed all their offspring are albinos.
hope that helps.

as for which are capable of crossbreeding i have no idea im a pleco noob, but i know my genetics :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
albino/albino+albino/albino= albino You can breed Albinos and get all albinos. The long fin gene has been hardy to breed true from what I have read. But the albino pleco gene has been secured across so many lines it's rare to beed two albino plecos and get and browns when you get stock from wholesalers. (as they dont have the time nor desire to be breeding albinos that do not breed true) But If you bough albinos from other forum members that were from mixed lineage (smiladon you referring to that?) I can see where you would get mixed/disappointing results.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
albino/albino+albino/albino= albino You can breed Albinos and get all albinos. The long fin gene has been hardy to breed true from what I have read. But the albino pleco gene has been secured across so many lines it's rare to beed two albino plecos and get and browns when you get stock from wholesalers. (as they dont have the time nor desire to be breeding albinos that do not breed true) But If you bough albinos from other forum members that were from mixed lineage (smiladon you referring to that?) I can see where you would get mixed/disappointing results.
I wasn't referring to that at all, instead I was stating what Mferko said: "if you cross an albino with anything else none of the f1 generation will be albinos at all "

I agree if it is albino/albino + albino/albino = albino/albino

what I was stating was
albino/albino + calico/calico [or any other type] != albino
because the offspring will be albino/calico and albinism is a recessive gene, so the babies will look like calicos.
Take two of those calicos and breed them and you can get some albinos etc (Mferko explained it better :) ... sorry if I am confusing you )

my point is that if someone is looking into cross-breeding, then leave albinos out of the list as it wont help.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thought is that the blue eyed gene from an L144 would likely be recessive the way it is in mammals.
My guess then is that the L144/L144 + albino/albino would give a light coloured fish ,perhaps even calico, with regular black eyes.
Maybe we can find out soon.
I found a seller with a large number of 144 for sale and a "generous" donor gave me about 20+ baby BN and calico BN and I think some albino too.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Here is my experience:

SF calico m / LF albino F = 100% silver tip with some LF some SF. There were no calico, no albino in the batch of 50+ babies.

And they were the only 2 plecos in the tank.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is my experience:

SF calico m / LF albino F = 100% silver tip with some LF some SF. There were no calico, no albino in the batch of 50+ babies.

And they were the only 2 plecos in the tank.
I suspected recessive genes would basically just disappear. I wasnt aware that the calico colour would be that recessive.
That likely means that the 144 cream colour and blue eyes would disappear.
Should be interesting to find out. I will start breaking up pairs pretty quick.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Is it possible to crossbreed 2 different strains of Bristlenose PLecos? - Aquaria Central

This guy bred a starlight with an albino and got orange patches.. seems some strains would be more likely to be influenced by the albino gene than others?

It's interesting that some mutations (lf calico) the calico will occur if both parents are F3 or better, and you still will not get the LF with every one...

With all these albino discus showing color but pink eyes, there is a method that we could emulate if we had access to the knowledge.. I would love to know how to fix the now very dark LF albino pleco I have downstairs....

So In short the starlight pleco may be an intersting place for you start as far as what you could get when working with albinos.. The starlights are BN also I believe...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have that cross going right now..the babies came out dark with spots all over and a white strip on the tails and fin....no albino was in the batch

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have that cross going right now..the babies came out dark with spots all over and a white strip on the tails and fin....no albino was in the batch
Thats very interesting. Could you share more details with us please? :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
The father is a ''black or blue eye'' what ever you want to call it L144 the mother is a regular albino bristle nose plecos all the babies came out dark with fine spots all over and a strip of white on the tip of their tails and a bit on the fins

1 - 20 of 22 Posts