British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have (what I think is a jardini but bought it as a "green) aro and a african lungfish as well as a plec all in a 120 gal tank. Looks very vacent and was wondering if there are any good fish to mix with these guys. (the lungfish is a lazy bugger dosent come out exept for feeding or if im doing something in the room he watches me but overall dosent bug any of the other fish). I need to get some better decor and will prolly go for a driftwood hunt near the river to go in the tank to creat more hiding spots. I was thinking of rays but my substrate would be too abrasive and the ph is too high (am working on getting it lower). Are there any docile big fish that swim mid to low of the tank.

any recommendations?
aro is about 7-8"
and lungfish is about 9"
plec is about 9"

is very boring tank right now:(

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I won't recommend anything yet as of now if you're planning on just a few fish. Why...? The jardini aro will become very aggressive when as it grows especially as it's a lone aro right now and already at 8-9 inches. The african lungfish is also a ticking time bomb as they are unpredictable and will soon start crushing the heads of the tank mates. It will likely start with that pleco and doesn't matter how armored that fish is. Lungfish are able to crush even pebbles or small rocks. Only way to comm a lungfish is by doing a JDM style community by packing it with lots of fish where there are not much space left. You will also need a good filter to do so. With less fish in the tank the lungfish is able to sense every fish activity in the tank. By jam packing it with lots of fish it confuses it senses.

See my signature below of an example of a JDM style community tank.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well on it I have a fluval 303 aquaclear 70 and 50 as well as a fluval on submergable in the tank for filtration. So far all the fish seem to be ok. And I did read about how lungfish are "ticking timebombs". And all the sudden can wipe out all your livestock. But I read after the purchase hence I've been watching and will put up a seperator if that does apear to occur. But as of now it's a boring tank. I was thinking of trying to find more asians in. If the lungfish starts to be a problem I would try to sell him. But they both seem to be ok so far

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eventually I want a bigger tank. I got a good deal on the 120 gal. Have to sell my 55 gal then I'll be on a lookout for a good deal on something bigger and get rid of
the 120. He was in the 55 gal for a short time till the upgrade. Have to upgrade slowly not to scare the bf away;). But I was thinking aros and rays but not quite yet. Have a bit more to research on the rays (expensive as they are I don't want to screw it up). Would like some others species also to spice it up a bit (but not
to ruin everything else)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You can start off with bichirs, gars featherbacks, snakeheads (stay away from red snakehead) and some mid size catfish. Since you have a 120g I won't recommend any stingrays yet. Or maybe some large size cichlids such as oscars or pbass to control the aggression of the aro. Maybe some datnoids as well. You may want to get rid of the pleco if you plan to keep bichirs, gars and stingrays as plecos will suck on the slime then bacterial infection will soon kill the fish.

If you want a lungfish go with a south american lungfish. They are tolerant of other fish unlike it's african cousin. Mykiss (Patrick) from Canadian Aquatics probably still have some.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I guess I can sell the lungfish but I'm not sure how much they are worth. The plec can go at any point of time. I used to have 3. But they are distructive so I got rid of 2. I e seen some monster really cheap on craigslist once but I wasn't sure what would be a good choice for the tank. I do appreciate ur insite. Hope
I'm not terribly anoying lol. Fairly new to the monsters. Very Kool fish tho

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought if from a dude off craigslist. Really pretty specimen. But did not
come with a certificate. Didn't even bother to ask. But I looked on the one thread on I'd my aro. So I googled green and jardini and it's def a jardini. Lol rosettes on the tail. And the fins look jardini too

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll see what I can do as far as pics go. It's hard as my camera and comp is my phone lol

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Well I guess I can sell the lungfish but I'm not sure how much they are worth. The plec can go at any point of time. I used to have 3. But they are distructive so I got rid of 2. I e seen some monster really cheap on craigslist once but I wasn't sure what would be a good choice for the tank. I do appreciate ur insite. Hope
I'm not terribly anoying lol. Fairly new to the monsters. Very Kool fish tho
Ask as many questions you want. We are here to help out. This is a forum after all.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts