British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have these wonderful worms in my tanks. Yay....

I've just recently noticed these little buggers in 2 out of my 3 tanks that have been set up for a while now. I'm just gonna go ahead and assume they are in the third tank as well.

5g has two very pregnant guppys and ~15 cherry shrimp. Very planted and fluorite substrate.

30g has a few guppies, a few swordtails and a chocolate tip bristlenose pleco which is still very young. I just got him a few weeks ago. Rocks and driftwood in tank as well as a couple floating plants

60g has two green terrors (~2in), weather loaches and corydoras. Rocks and driftwood one anubias.

I plan on treating all 3 tanks as soon as I can get the medication and I am buying double so I can do a second treatment in 2-3 weeks. I just have a few questions.

1. Will treating my guppys kill my unborn fry and shrimp?

2. Should I put the two pregnant guppys with the rest of them in the 30g and treat them all together? I am planning on taking out all the river rocks so the tank will have a bare bottom to see worms.

3. Should I for sure treat the 60g even without any visible signs yet?

4. Should I treat each tank on separate days so I can sit and watch for worms to be excreted to the bottom?

5. Can I completely take my 5g down and clean everything with bleach while my shrimp are in a brand new container of aged water?

6. How do I disinfect the fluorite and plants so I can be 100% sure all the worms/eggs are dead?

List of plants in my tanks are anubias, java moss, water sprite(?), one marimo ball and another floating plant that I'm not 100% sure the name.

Any advice is very welcome. Thanks so much in advance.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
Treat EVERYTHING with medication! These Stupid worms are hard to kill! if they're in one of your tanks they're in all of your tanks. I had to do four treatments because the first two didn't kill them all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Treat EVERYTHING with medication! These Stupid worms are hard to kill! if they're in one of your tanks they're in all of your tanks. I had to do four treatments because the first two didn't kill them all.
Thanks. I'm getting the medication tomorrow morning and I got enough to do all 3 tanks x2. Hopefully I don't have to get more.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You need to talk to the guys at Canadian aquatics. They can help you with medication and information. I think pat and Charles have an article on this issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to talk to the guys at Canadian aquatics. They can help you with medication and information. I think pat and Charles have an article on this issue.
Yes I ordered some from them a couple days ago. Thank you though.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Good luck. I haven't had any experiences with these worms yet but I know that many people have struggled with these nasty pests. I hope that your fish and shrimp thrive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck. I haven't had any experiences with these worms yet but I know that many people have struggled with these nasty pests. I hope that your fish and shrimp thrive.
Thanks. Unfortunately 4 shrimp have died as of this morning. They looked like they were trying to molt, but definitely dead.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Oh, that's too bad! I wonder if the shrimp could be kept in an unmedicated tank? I don't know the answer to this, but maybe shrimp can't catch those worms, can't be hosts? (But, i don't know.) Shrimp can be so sensitive. I hope that your fish come through.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, that's too bad! I wonder if the shrimp could be kept in an unmedicated tank? I don't know the answer to this, but maybe shrimp can't catch those worms, can't be hosts? (But, i don't know.) Shrimp can be so sensitive. I hope that your fish come through.
Well from what I read shrimp are very good parasite hosts. So I'd rather be safe than sorry. I do want to continue having small fish with my shrimp. I still have over 10 shrimp and a few females out of that so I'm hoping they survive. My fish are starting to swim around more which is always nice. They aren't eating much though since they are very pregnant. Well one is still.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well a few more of my shrimp died today, but my fish are doing great. No visable worms at all anymore so I'm hoping they are all gone.

After the water change/ gravel vacuuming on the 3/4 day, when should I do another water change? Or should I just leave it till I do the second treatment in 2 weeks?

Also I think I caught this parasite right away. I've only seen worms come out of two fish so far. So I believe I got it at the first possible sign which is awesome imo

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it seems like I've managed to get rid of the worm.. Still gonna do the second treatment in like a week.
I still have no idea how it got into my tank but I'm gonna make sure I quarantine everything and clean plants really well before adding them.. At least I know everything I have now is clean ha-ha.

Total loss was basically all my shrimp, 4 have made it though and there's at least 1 male and 1 female.. Funny thing is the female that survived is my wild brown "red cherry" shrimp. Not going to get anything new though until after the second dose of medication.. Anyways just wanted to leave a little update.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I'm glad that your fish are doing well. Thanks for telling me that shrimp can be hosts of these horrible worms. Ugh! Good luck with your second dose. Your thread will be useful even after it's archived.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm glad that your fish are doing well. Thanks for telling me that shrimp can be hosts of these horrible worms. Ugh! Good luck with your second dose. Your thread will be useful even after it's archived.
Thank you. I'll be happy if it helps someone, but I hope no one has to deal with these guys! It's a lot of stress and work. I don't know what I would have done if I lost my fish due to it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I did the second dose of medication and I've had the light only on for feeding the last couple days. But so far no other shrimp deaths and both guppys have given birth :) I was most worried about them dying through the birthing process because of the worms/medicine but I'm happy to say there's at least 10 fry. Not a huge amount considering they both looked like they would explode/rip apart. And not a single fish death in the other tanks as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks hopefully now after 2nd/last dose I won't see them ever again! Still kinda wish I knew exactly when/how I got them...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I contracted camallanus worms in my tanks at around the same time as you. Did you purchase any fish from Petland? I know some of their angelfish tank did have camallanus worms in them. That could be your answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I contracted camallanus worms in my tanks at around the same time as you. Did you purchase any fish from Petland? I know some of their angelfish tank did have camallanus worms in them. That could be your answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hope you were lucky enough to get them out of your tank! No, I do not have a petland near me, but there is a petsmart. I wonder if they would have the same issues from the same supplier too, maybe?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hope you were lucky enough to get them out of your tank! No, I do not have a petland near me, but there is a petsmart. I wonder if they would have the same issues from the same supplier too, maybe?

Maybe, I thought I got rid of them, but another fish (one of my breeding pair of angels) has contracted them. Have you gotten rid of yours? I find the deworm #3 flake from angels plus works (well, keeps the fish alive and breeding, they might come back later) if you are struggling.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts