British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can I use rock from saltwater aquarium that is now “dry” in my african cichlid tank? My buddy offering to give me his extra dry rock but not sure if its okay to use for my african cichlid tank? It has been out of water around 3 months

thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,389 Posts
I wouldn’t use it if it was well colonized by fauna before being dried. The old fauna can easily cause an ammonia spike.

JMHO.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn’t use it if it was well colonized by fauna before being dried. The old fauna can easily cause an ammonia spike.

JMHO.
even if I clean it up properly? And put them in boiling water?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I be more concern about lingering Salt content. should let the rock soak in water and test for Salt ppm? not sure if there are test for salt. Are rocks used in salt water system porous?

Best to wait for someone who has used rocks from a SW system to reply or you can be the first to try and let us know the process you did to treat the rock before using them in freshwater.

·
Super Moderator
5,389 Posts
If you scrubbed them really good, boiled them for an hour, and then soaked them for a week in fresh water, they would probably be okay.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,377 Posts
Absolutely. Doing it now with my puffer tank. Done it lots

·
Registered
243 Posts
If u really want to be careful you can just drop them in water and bleach for a couple weeks then let them dry out then will be good to go

1 - 7 of 7 Posts