British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange question, but I've always wondered about this. I'm bored so I thought I'd ask here.

Lots of different companies claim their foods are made with certain ingredients because fish love the taste so we are led to believe fish actually have a sense of taste. But really, do they? Whether the flake food tastes like salmon, tuna, halibut, or the sweat from my sneakers after a 5 mile run, does it really matter to the fish? Do they even have taste buds? Thanks for any information you can provide, and beware the ides of March!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think fish have taste. Otherwise, how could they know something is food and other things not.
In saltwater, they say to put garlic with the food for finicky eaters. I love garlic, so why not fish?

·
Registered
617 Posts
It stands to reason that fish have a sense of taste. That is what attracts them to food; just as it does with every other creature.. All have their own food preferences from bacteria to us. "Tastes" vary widely in form depending on the tasters .. the simplest forms are in the bacteria and similar lower forms , becoming more sophisticated as the organism becomes more sophisticated. The lowest forms are drawn to whatever supplies their needed nutrients while as the sophistication increases the "presentation" also comes into play... and remember, tastes vary greatly. At the top, some things that are delicious to your dog are absolutely revolting to you .. LOL.... . Look at fish feeding and the foods you present to them .. some things that look identical will be greedily eaten by your pets , and others rejected or eaten more reluctantly. Taste and "smell" factor in on those choices .

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Totally agree with Dave and Dietmar. I worked in the fish farming industry and if the fish were not feeding vigorously enough we added some extra fish oil and mixed it in with the pellets to make it smell and taste better. The fish would gobble it up quick.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sorta on topic for taste.. LOL. . A net friend on Facebook posted about a dog that had intestinal problems .. Fortunately they were not fatal nor the cause of a very expensive vet bill for surgery.. He passed the blockage... It was someones underwear.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I added fish to my tank is was beautifully hard-scaped and the plants were placed in a way that looks natural, balanced, all the things we strive for... it looked great. The fish rearranged everything to their liking. It's a mess. They seem happy but I think they have terrible taste in decorating. Just a difference in opinion, I guess.

Oh, you mean actual taste as in food. Yeah, they do.

(a little humor...or maybe not humorous at all. It all depends on your taste)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts