British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so i found some worms in my back yard can i feed these to my convict cichlids? I heard of some people doing it but i dont know if its good idea or not tho any thoughts?

earthworm i think it is looks like this

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow 2hrs no help jk lol well they eat some hope they be okay.

but umm i put soil in a large bucket 16L i think and cut some potato threw in add water so its moist and threw in some worms.

any one think they will live and reproduce? :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Earthworms make great fish food, either whole for large fish , or cut up for smaller ones. You want to gather them where they haven't been exposed to pesticides though.
You can culture them, or get gather them from a compost pile or bin. Worm composting is usually done with a species that prefers it a little warmer, and reproduce faster than our domestic worms; but you can culture native worms the same as the others .
Use a medium made from torn up newspaper , a bit of peat moss and soil/fine sand. Feed them kitchen scraps ( peels, vegetable wastes, coffee grounds , tea bags)
Here is the link to a pdf about vermiculture. http://www.organicagcentre.ca/DOCs/Vermiculture_FarmersManual_gm.pdf

You can also search on "Worm composting" for all sorts of links to worm sources and culturing "how to's"
Every year Vancouver and other communities sponsor a worm composting seminar with worms and composters available .

·
Registered
485 Posts
look up worm bins for proper container advise, lots of info.

On earth worms, I feed all my fish earth worms, and they go nuts for them. Somtimes I freeze the worms in a freezer bag, roll them up and cut off small pieces. April advised me they can be cut up with scissors in an egg cup too!!

Really seems to improve overall coloration of fish better than anything else in my experience. (Ive never fed beef heart though, it may be better)

Lisa

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Any insecticides or poisons will be passed along the food chain...

I doubt there would be any if a negligible amount though in reality.

·
Registered
327 Posts
just clean them out by putting them in a container of moist paper towel, it will save getting all of the fines in your tank.

also there are red wrigglers and there are "earth worms" or "knight crawlers" the latter are the larger of the two and not suited for culture with the two being distinctly different sizes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts