British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some real trouble keeping my red plants alive . I have the Iron Supplement and the Flourish and Excel and nothing seems to be doing the trick ...
What am I missing???

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 20 gallon tank with a aqua-glo T8 bulb

·
Registered
161 Posts
As mentioned, your issue is light intensity.
That T8 fixture is probably only 15 watts, probably just enough to grow java fern.
Contrary to common believe that iron makes red plants red, it is light intensity that is needed
Increasing intensity brings other requirements such as Carbon & nutrients.
Regards

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone . I will probably switch to LED - does the colour matter?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think it definitely does. Don't just buy any cheapest light you can if you go with LED. Get one that's going to give you enough PAR, one that has a good CRI, then worry about price.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Biltek LED flood lights are really good and cheap. Could get 2 30watt lights. Will cost about $100 for both. Otherwise Fluval Aqualife and Plant 2.0 those are really good lights with full spectrum also. Current Satellite LED Plus Pro lights come with a ramp timer as well.

I've never tried the Finnex planted lights, but heard they are very good and have seen great growth from those lights.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
On the subject of lighting what would it cost to get an LED fixture to light the 20g mentioned for medium light plants? What stats on the bulbs do you look for?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't think colour matters too much. Anything from 5000-10,000K would work well. It's mostly a matter of taste, but if you want to emulate the sun, the sun is 6500K. If you go with fluorescent lights, go with the cheapest shop lights you can find. But if you go with LEDs, I agree with troutsniffer, don't buy the cheapest you find. Do some research first.

Tom, the cost would depend on the quality of the light. As for what you look for, I guess you'd just look at the colour since that's usually the only relevant info provided. PAR would be nice, but few fixtures provide these numbers. Best is to look at reviews and maybe PAR values from other aquarists.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts