British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just a quick snapshot from tonight.
This is my 2nd attempt at keeping them, the first time was about 8 years ago and they were wild caught. I was able to successfully keep and breed them but life got too busy and I had to give them away. No I'm back in action and I've been speaking to a few non local breeders with some new tips and tricks.

Here's a quick snapshot from tonight. More and better photos later :)

Caridina dennerli by Raymond Wong, on Flickr

thanks for looking

Ray

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks Jay,

oh it was a quick snapshot so I took about 3-6 shots and picked the best one to upload.

it wasn't really moving that much :) so kinda like shooting a flower or peanut :)

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
Hello Ray.

Is it in a tank with ADA Amazonia? It sure looks like it to me. I have never heard of a case of successfully raising them with a substrate that acidifies the water column. I wish you good luck with them. I'm sure more will be revealed..

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankless in Vancouver

·
Registered
192 Posts
You'll have to keep me updated on this! By far my favorite shrimp, and one I want to raise and breed one day, but just not there yet.
Great pic and good luck, Ray

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Stuart,

Great observation but it's not ada amazonia, it's old fluval stranum that doesn't lower the pH anymore. I'm using Salty Shrimp Sulawesi 7.5 for a more ideal water condition. And I do have a ph meter and a tds meter to confirm it :)

thanks for the info.

I'm pretty familar with the conditions these shrimp require.

Hello Ray.

Is it in a tank with ADA Amazonia? It sure looks like it to me. I have never heard of a case of successfully raising them with a substrate that acidifies the water column. I wish you good luck with them. I'm sure more will be revealed..

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankless in Vancouver

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
That's awesome.

I remember when I had mine and they were very expensive and I made mistakes. It's nice seeing someone local with them again. Rumour has It that Repashy Soilent Green is an ideal food for their grazing feeding style. I am definitely following this one Ray :)!

Respectfully,

Stuart

Tankless in Vancouver

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
HI Stuart

That's a great reminder as I plan to convert another tank to suwlesi also but they have ada.

The few breeders I've chatted with from the states are quite nice and shared all their secrets and tricks.

I plan to blog about my adventures with them, well more like quick notes and I'm not a writer and I forget stuff so I write them down in some notes.

I know there are a few local breeders, ones on here for sure and a few others. I'd love to hear their experiences and share my thoughts

Ray

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
I got 2 batches. They both eventually died out after 1-2 months. They were both wild stock and I did not really have the resources to keep them well back then. I did learn many lifesaving tips after my 2 colonies died off.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankless in Vancouver

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh sorry to hear about your loss.

Any suggestions on a more lighter colour substrate that's doesn't affect the water parameters? I'm going to set up a 2nd sulewasi tank shortly.

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
Silica sand can work but I had challenges with compaction and sulfides as a result. I believe Frank was using crushed coral with a reverse flow UG filter with his. I believe he had coarse lava stone under that.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankless in Vancouver

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pH and tds is steady where I'd like it but just converted another one of my 10 gallon aquariums but used crushed coral as a substrate instead.
here's a few new photos of these guys, from 2 different sources, so some of them differ in colour.

Another exciting news, is I have 3 sulawesi rabbit snails and I found 2 babies, so I believe I have 2 females, as they only breed/give birth once per month

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Minor update. All healthy after about three weeks. Hoping to locate and get some harlequins, white orchids and yellow cheeks to add to my collection.
Converted my 10 gallon with crushed coral substrate instead, will do one more later and the 3rd one later on . Going to move these guys into another 10 gallon and convert this one with crushed coral substrate. Been doing some water testing and the hardness hasn't jumped much in a week with a thin layer of crushed coral. Steady at around 200ppm tds, pH 7.5.
Caridina dennerli, by Raymond Wong, on Flickr
Caridina dennerli, by Raymond Wong, on Flickr
And just for kicks, my 120 gallon planted work in progress

My Aquarium by Raymond Wong, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Ray

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Almost week 4 since I moved these guys, a new photo update.

Realized something last week, I'm a little bit disappointed at the photos since moving them from a ada 45f aquarium to a standard 10 gallon. I should have went with a ada 45p instead. The high clarity glass that ada uses photographs much nicer and I've been noticing a huge difference in my photos.

3 weeks in and these guys are starting to get comfortable and turning pretty deep dark red, redder than my painted fire reds and almost similar to the bloody mary neo's

thanks for looking

Ray

caridina dennerli by Raymond Wong, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 30 Posts