British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had some success lately with one breeding group of Silver-tip Bushynose plecos. One male + 3 females. The conditions must be right for them. They are housed in:

• Tank: Hexagonal 30 g
  • Filtration: Fluval 206 cannister & AquaClear 70/300
  • Lighting: small LED
  • Plants: some Java Fern, but mostly thick floating Water Sprite

Here is the sequence of events

• 2 months a few pleco fry started showing up ... kind of unexpected so, I took things more seriously and really kept doing what I already been doing, thinking that it was successful once, why change things up?
  • 6 weeks ago in re-arranging the aquascaping in the tank I noticed that the male pleco had chosen a wood crevice cave as his territory and was fanning the opening of the cave - obvious breeding behaviour. I arranged the driftwood to the front of the tank so I could monitor the cave closely
  • 6 weeks ago I siphoned about 40 well developed fry from the pleco cave - brood #1
  • 2 days later Casanova was fanning eggs again and about 2 weeks ago I siphoned about 50 fry from his cave - brood #2
  • 1 day later he was fanning a new clutch of eggs
  • 10 days later when I noticed females hanging out by the cave and the male was getting agitated I siphoned another 20 fry from his cave ... not quite as developed as the last two times but pretty well developed - brood #3
  • 1 day later ... the pictures tell the story

Given that this my first successful pleco spawning here are my questions.

1. Do male plecos eat while guarding eggs?
  2. Is this normal breeding behaviour?
  3. Is this level fecundity normal for pleco?

Thanks for any input and advice.

Reactions: Dou

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have had some success lately with one breeding group of Silver-tip Bushynose plecos. One male + 3 females. The conditions must be right for them. They are housed in:

• Tank: Hexagonal 30 g
  • Filtration: Fluval 206 cannister & AquaClear 70/300
  • Lighting: small LED

Here is the sequence of events

• 2 months a few pleco fry started showing up ... kind of unexpected so, I took things more seriously
  • 6 weeks ago in re-arranging the aquascaping in the tank I notoced that the male placo chosen a wood crevice cave as his territory and was fanning the openinging of the cave - obvious breeding behaviour. I arranged the driftwood easy to the front of the tank so I could monitor the cave closely
  • 6 weeks ago I siphoned about 40 well developed fry from the pleco cave
  • 2 days later Casanova was fanning eggs again and about 2 weeks ago I siphoned about 50 fry from his cave
  • 1 day later he was fanning a new clutch of eggs
  • 10 days later when I noticed females hanging out by the cave and the male was getting agitated I siphoned another 20 fry from his cave ... not quite as developed as the last two times but pretty well developed
  • 1 day later ... the pictures tell the story

Given that this my first successful pleco spawning here are my questions.

1. Do male plecos eat while guarding eggs?
  2. Is this normal breeding behaviour?
  3. Is this level fecundity normal for pleco?

Thanks for any input and advice.
Wow! That's impressive! You have a very frisky pleco tank lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been raising the pleco fry with Angel fry they all seem content.

Survival rate so far seems close to 90% but they are all pretty young in a about a month the first 40 should be ready to re-home.

Reactions: Gaia and Dou
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.