British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on my Striped Raphael Catfish is shedding it looks like, quite odd could it be the slime coat? No other fish in that tank is shedding either Any answers?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Probably best to post a photo - it'll give us the best idea of the problem. I don't know for sure what's going on, but I'm pretty sure that catfish don't shed normally. GL!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, atm I can't the lights are off, and he hides A LOT so it'll be difficult! I'll try when I can

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, I had an asian red tailed catfish that did that, I thought it was weird too, I honestly can't remember what answer was given for it when
I asked but he came out ok. I know the look you're talking about, I'm pretty sure it came from my water quality so you may want to do some tests if you haven't yet. I may be crazy here but something rings a bell about a growth spurt too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a Striped Raphael Catfish for over 12 years now. I do notice some shedded skin coming off of its body once in awhile. It's definitely not slime coat for sure. I don't see any negative effect on the fish though. Well, at least it is still alive when its tank mates come and go ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Having a similar problem. I suspect fungus? No idea really. adding salt seemed to slow it down and some fish have recovered. But still seeing sick fish in the tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all your care and support! It's all gone now and he's all good. But I did see one thing, one of my Rummynose Tetras were eating it off of him :S So idk what that means.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts