British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have 6 CPD's in my Ebi tank for almost 2 weeks now. I rarely see them out. They are always hiding at the back of the tank in behind the plants and under the filter. They always dart out during feeding time and it is usually the only time see them all together. Whenever they are out not during feeding they stay really low against the substrate, but quickly dart back into their safe area soon after. If I make sudden movements they are gone! They all appear to be healthy. Eating a lot and have coloured up nicely since I got them.

I have read that these guys are naturally shy, but I'm wondering what everyone else experiences are with them?

Are they sensitive current? I have the flow set to the lowest.

Or are they scared of bright light? They seem to come out a little more at night when I turn on the moonlight.

Or are they just timid fish that will never get over it?

Here is my setup...

They hide in the back left corner. You have no idea how hard it was to get this photo with them in it.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Celestial Pearl Danios - Naturely timid or is it something I am doing?

Hello yes. Mine
Always are in the plants at the back.
Bigger the group the better.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had a hard time keeping galaxy rasboras, as they seem to prefer a higher pH than their danio cousins. They are hard to find, I wouldn't mind getting some myself. From what I understand, they have gone exctinct in the wild, or are highly endangered.

I found the ones that I've kept don't like to swim in the open because they are quite small and easy prey. They like high plants and stay roughly in the middle in the back for the most part.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe they'll come out If I make a moss tree. Always wanted to do that, but that sure does take up some space.

I am also going to do an experiment by turning off the filter for a little bit and observing them. I have a suspicion they are really timid fish that hates my filter. Will try to redirect the flow.

Cpds and galaxies are the same fish and apparently they aren't as endangered as people first thought. I believe April's are hand reared so people are breeding them successfully. I wonder if their shyness can be eventually be bred out?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I bought some micro rasboras from April last december.They are amazing little fish and mine are very social.If you look at my tank journals you can see a few hanging out with the shrimp on the bottom.I have about 22 in a 30 gallon and regret not getting more.
sherry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts