British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as soon as the lights came on today my celestrial peral danio's went at it. The dominate males colored up and got a light brown bar across their backs. They then did a jimmy dance at the females that they chased into some plants and then did their embrace! I don't think any fry will make it though, we'll see... As the Chili rasboras and the one eye'd balckskirt will probably eat them up!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Try removing all the plants they spawned in, into a smaller aquarium, with an airstone and some form of heating. We pulled it off by hanging a specimen container on the inside of an aquarium, so that it mostly immerses in the water (to keep it warm), put an airstone inside and covered it. It worked

Steve

·
Registered
197 Posts
Another way to rescue eggs is to vacuum the area where they spawned into a 5 gallon bucket. Stick a heater and a sponge filter in it and you're set. I have also just strained the vacuum water through a fine net and collected the eggs that way.
That was all with zebra danios though and I can't say how adhesive celestial eggs are.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think i just saw a fry in the tank. It was quite long for a fry but thin and black and clear. Tiny sitting on the underside of a leaf It swam off... I could probably put them in with the betta fry if i could catch them...

After looking up a picture of a fry on the net.... i'd say there is at least one in the tank. I'll be damed if i know how to cath it though... too many plants

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's the finding it that's the hard part! Little black sliver in a green forest.

Found It and took a picture. It's in the betta fry tank now.... I'll keep a close eye on the tank over the next few days to see if more fry hatch out

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's allready in the betta tank sucked it up with a turkey baster.... Turkey basters are a must have tool for fish tanks...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't you worry that the turkey baster will concuss the small fish, bonk it on the head? How big can the fry be before you can't use a turkey baster anymore? Could you transfer an adult celestial pearl danio with a baster? I have never had a baster.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Congrats! You have so many fry you might aswell open a school!

So as soon as the lights came on today my celestrial peral danio's went at it. The dominate males colored up and got a light brown bar across their backs. They then did a jimmy dance at the females that they chased into some plants and then did their embrace! I don't think any fry will make it though, we'll see... As the Chili rasboras and the one eye'd balckskirt will probably eat them up!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't you worry that the turkey baster will concuss the small fish, bonk it on the head? How big can the fry be before you can't use a turkey baster anymore? Could you transfer an adult celestial pearl danio with a baster? I have never had a baster.
The fry are so tiny! And you control the amount of sucking power when you suck them up. I've used a turkey baster theat i've cut the end off off to suck up shrimp. Way easyer than netting them! I'd say any fry that is a month old is too big to turkey baste safely. You can break their backs if you aren't careful! So be gentel and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You'll just have to take my word that the parents are beautiful. They are really really hard to shoot pictures of. I've got two seperate schools of celestrial peral danio's 6 in the 5 gallon with 5 chili rasbora and 2 rasbora merah and 1 blackskirt tetra. ( he has one eye ) then i have 6 more in the 15 gallon community tank. My tanks are heavily planted and heavily stocked....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok, I have a school of 10 in a ten gal planted... along with 1 female virgin guppy and 1 white cloud minnow... Im trying to catch the latter two so the 10 gal will be a species tank.

Scholz, what are you parametres? My celestials will not spawn! I had 6, no luck, I got 4 more young ones, no luck! I know I have both sexes, beautiful colours!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ph is some where around 7ish ussually... kh 4 to 5ish gh 4 to 5ish temperature is 24... Once weekly 50% water change...

to be honest i've stopped testing.... haven't tested a tank in a month or so...

I think my secret is the live food.... they love white worms.....

There are so many cherry shrimp in this tank that It's amazing I even found one fry.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
all my cherry shrimp are gone now, but live food eh? ive been using high grade flake... good call!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts