British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched from 55 gallon to a 75 gallon. I have no knowledge or just wasn't thinking correctly about the fish when setting the 75 gallon tank. I think it's a disaster...sort of. Currently my fishes are in the bucket, but the fish tank is still sorting the temperature because it's cold and salt is not dissolve, it could take probably 3 or more hours since I screwed up my heaters and broke the 300W them I'm using a 100w heater =(.

HIGH PRIORITY QUESTION!
I want to know what I can add in the bucket to keep the fish alive? very critical that this needs to be answered. I don't want to wake up and they're dead.

and I'm not sure what is in the water, but suddenly tons of small bristle worms came up I think dead...could it be because of the water temperature or there's a chemical in the water that killed them? Scared to put my fishes in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What happened? How long was it setup? Did it happen over a day?

What is the temperature of the tank? It could have been something else.. it is pretty warm so the water won't drop below whatever your ambient temperature is.. a 100W heater should be ok temporarily in this weather.

If you have fish in a bucket.. you need to have a heater in there and some way of moving water in terms of a water pump or an airstone.

What kind of fish are you trying to save?

·
Super Moderator
453 Posts
Take a breath first and then answer scherzo's questions.

Assuming your fish aren't packed in the bucket like sardines, they should survive the night fine in a bucket of heated SW with a powerhead providing circulation. You could put in a few pieces of live rock for filtration purposes as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happened? How long was it setup? Did it happen over a day?

What is the temperature of the tank? It could have been something else.. it is pretty warm so the water won't drop below whatever your ambient temperature is.. a 100W heater should be ok temporarily in this weather.

If you have fish in a bucket.. you need to have a heater in there and some way of moving water in terms of a water pump or an airstone.

What kind of fish are you trying to save?
Yes I just set it up today, and was hoping to just add few old water tank. It just scares me what if some kind of chemical or is it the temperature killing the bristleworms? because suddenly tons of small bristleworms started floating curve..and i believe dead. i don't want to risk putting my fish in the tank. It's so late to get a testing kit.

The temperature is currently 66 F in the tank and yes I have a 100W that i put it and didn't break =).

I am trying to save all of my saltwater fish. They look like they are not dying yet.. I'll definitely put airstone and some kind of heat hopefully I can find a heater here.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take a breath first and then answer scherzo's questions.

Assuming your fish aren't packed in the bucket like sardines, they should survive the night fine in a bucket of heated SW with a powerhead providing circulation. You could put in a few pieces of live rock for filtration purposes as well.
Yes liverocks are in it.

·
Super Moderator
453 Posts
Not sure how the temperature could get down to 66F but it was probably the temperature shock that killed the bristleworms. The bad news is that the same thing probably killed a lot of other things on the live rock which means that you're probably in for a cycle.

Slowly bring the temperature back up and monitor for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate. Make as much new SW as you can.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure how the temperature could get down to 66F but it was probably the temperature shock that killed the bristleworms. The bad news is that the same thing probably killed a lot of other things on the live rock which means that you're probably in for a cycle.

Slowly bring the temperature back up and monitor for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate. Make as much new SW as you can.
I have not added any liverock in the tank or anything, except livesand from the old tank.

·
Registered
193 Posts
wow 66F! Did you use cold water from the tap? Either that or it is really cold where you are.... out here in Coquitlam is it about 24C in my basement!

In any case.... just get a heater in the tub with the fish.

What I would do is put the heater in the bucket... wait until tomorrow and get a new heater for the main tank. Your fish should be fine.. make sure your salinity in your tub is correct and just ensure that the temperature is stable.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow 66F! Did you use cold water from the tap? Either that or it is really cold where you are.... out here in Coquitlam is it about 24C in my basement!

In any case.... just get a heater in the tub with the fish.

What I would do is put the heater in the bucket... wait until tomorrow and get a new heater for the main tank. Your fish should be fine.. make sure your salinity in your tub is correct and just ensure that the temperature is stable.
Yes, I use the water from outside. hehehe well hope for the best..i gotta get my zzzZzz

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
124 Posts
What I'm wondering is why you decided to move everything over at once? I'm still a bit of a noob in the world of SW, but I figure there's always a cycle that needs to take place. Even with "cured" live rock. In which case, you should have left the other tank up and running while you allowed the new tank to cycle.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
especially after what happened in your other thread as above? very irresponsible. i hope it wasn't just that you got good deals on the fish. Those poor fish to have survived this long and to be purposely subjected to this is just nasty. i would be plenty p.o'd if it was me who sold you those fish.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hate to jump on a bandwagon here, but yeah man, you need a little help before you kill anything else!

And here I was all guilty that I fed my damsel a few too many shrimp yesterday. :p

I guess the priority now is making sure you get this tank running properly. Has it warmed up yet?

How many fish are we talking about here?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hate to jump on a bandwagon here, but yeah man, you need a little help before you kill anything else!

And here I was all guilty that I fed my damsel a few too many shrimp yesterday. :p

I guess the priority now is making sure you get this tank running properly. Has it warmed up yet?

How many fish are we talking about here?
They survive and very alive!! and yes everything has been put together nicely =)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts