British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been running several tanks in Pitt Meadows for years now. Have always experienced ph levels in the 6.5 range. Just finished testing and i am getting readings of 7.6 - 7.8!! I've used both a low ph test and a high ph test and am getting the same reading. Is there another member here in this area who can confirm this?

Lance

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
i second to what lance says. the water out here is @ 7.5 its crazy blue!! be careful doing water changes i guess. my wolfish may pass over night . his face is peeling away. its pretty gross.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hmm.. odd.. I just did a water change and noticed one of my fish not doing well.. Didn't think it could be due to that..

Interesting.. Thanks for posting. I don't have ph testers, I just assume everything is fine!

Guess I wont be doing water changes for awhile.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Is the city doing any water main work. If so they will over dose with chlorine after the work is done . I ran into this problem right before the Olympics and I lost a crap load of discus thanks to bad water..

·
Registered
241 Posts
You can try calling them (the city engineers), and ask them if there has been any work going on in the area. As pitt meadows is relatively small it probably isn't a big deal to ask. Just remember that the water source is from Metro, so they will only be able to tell you things that are happening in their main.

If they are doing any flushing as well it could be the issue (but I thought I read that they did that back in March...)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
wolffish did pass last night. check your taps folks before water changes are done in PITT MEADOWS!!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fish, how much of water change did you do?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
maybe 30% .
he was in my 55G. its weird though, my Dat & my 2 other catfish seem to be fine.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lost my snakehead last night as well :( Same problem as the wolfish ben lost, face started peeling away, not sure what has happened!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You can try calling them (the city engineers), and ask them if there has been any work going on in the area. As pitt meadows is relatively small it probably isn't a big deal to ask. Just remember that the water source is from Metro, so they will only be able to tell you things that are happening in their main.

If they are doing any flushing as well it could be the issue (but I thought I read that they did that back in March...)
I think pitt gets their water from a diffrent source. I would age your water for a few days before doing a change. Plus i would do a smaller change untill the water gets better. The city will rasie the chlorine levels really high and that will kill you good bactreia in your tank. If i remeber correctly when I was going through the same problem. The chlorine levels went from 0.08 ppm to 0.20 ppm.

·
Registered
241 Posts
beN, Gone Fishy,

Pitt Meadows collect samples from seven sites throughout the City weekly to test for water quality. The testing is carried out by Metro Vancouver. I have put in a call to them about this, and they said that they will look into this. Is should hear back from them, hopefully before the end of the day...

Also there is a rechlorination station located on the Pitt River. It might be that...
I've put in a call to the operations foreman at Pitt Meadows... We'll see what he says...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kitsune,

I have pm'd you back. Thank you so much for your generous assistance. For you to take your own time to help out a fellow member is indeed a substantial act. It would be awesome to hear some info that may shed some light on this.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Kitsune,

Thanks so much for digging around for us. Im sure the info you aquire will help us determine what happend to our fish. Thanks again!

beN

·
Registered
623 Posts
OMG, that is crazy, i wouldn't think that one day of a PH change would do that, maybe a parasite in the water?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Very interested to hear what the city has to say to you as I know live out this way. Guess I should keep a closer eye on the tap water here. Never had any issues ever out in Surrey, but then again different source

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok, here is the deal:

Metro Vancouver has carried out water quality testing from Coquitlam lake (Pitt Meadow's water source). Here are the results for the last two months (sorry about the formatting... is from an excel spread sheet):

Sample reported name Sampled date pH pH units
Coquitlam #3 Main 7/5/2010 11:58 7.4
Coquitlam #3 Main 7/12/2010 12:03 7.4
Coquitlam #3 Main 7/19/2010 11:27 7.5
Coquitlam #3 Main 7/26/2010 12:30 7.5
Coquitlam #3 Main 8/3/2010 8:01 7.3
Coquitlam #3 Main 8/9/2010 11:32 7.4
Coquitlam #3 Main 8/16/2010 12:38 7.5
Coquitlam #3 Main 8/23/2010 11:35 7.5
Coquitlam #3 Main 8/30/2010 12:35 7.6
Coquitlam #3 Main 9/7/2010 11:29 7.4
Coquitlam #3 Main 9/13/2010 12:46 7.4

You'll see a peak from Aug 30.

There has been no operational modifications at Coquitlam Lake treatment facility (no changes in chlorine dosing).

I am still trying to find the sample results from the 7 Pitt Meadow sites...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kitsune,

Thanks again for spending your time to help out others, that's what makes this forum so awesome :D. I looked online last night and could only find a 2008 report from the pitt meadows stations....maybe you will be able to find something more current.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts