British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wow, is that for real? It seems like the octopus managed to not only match colour, but texture as well!

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Yup, they are the master of disguises (not the lowly chameleon) because colour, skin texture, etc. are all part of its repertoire for blending in perfectly. They are also very smart & can go through a small hole as long as its beak (the only real hard thing in an octopus) can pass through it. That's why having an octopus-proof tank is very hard to do for the average aquarist.

Robert at King Ed's brings in small octopi once in a while. Very cool but mostly nocturnal creatures so kinda boring as a pet.

Anthony

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Pacific Giant Octopus right? I thought they are for sure the world's largest octopus. I'd really love to see one while scuba diving...

Apparently we(BC) have some of the largest octopus in the world.
They showed a documentary on Discovery about them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
thought i read it somewhere that the military is developing an "active camouflage" type of suit/fabric where the idea comes from the way octopus (or chameleon - can't fully remember) hide themselves. wicked! g.i. joe in real life. lol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
WOW:):) Awesome

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have seen them on tv as well....blew me away :eek: Unfortunatly I started clicking on other related vids ,as always :rolleyes: ...very cool critters out there.
for another example of types of squid ...not meaning to steal your thread but WOW :eek:. .
There was a story about the octypus at Vancouver Aquarium escaping to other tanks ,eating and going back to its own tank. They kept coming in each morning to missing fish. And finaly set up a video, that caught him in the vid going and coming.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I think that we should ban the killing of octopi for food. Deep-fried octopus should not be on the menu anywhere in BC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts