British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime ago I start noticing some of my cherries are truing purplish/blue around their bodies. I think its because a year or so ago I had a few blueberry/blue pearls (not sure which) at the same tank with them for like a week. 2 of the blue shrimp was pregnant but I don't think they gave birth because when I returned them they were still berried. That's the only reason I could think of why they are turning blue, or is it natural that some cherries will do that?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hmm interesting, I don't think that would happen naturally (unless you're feeding your cherries a lot of blueberries or something :D). I suppose it's possible that one of the blue shrimp you had was male and impregnated one of your cherries? Just how blue are the shrimp though? Are they a mix of red and blue now then?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
i think it may have somthing to do with diet and maybe crossing with the blue shrimp while they were in the same tank...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, they are not 100$ blue, is just like there will be patches or strips of blue or purple color from the head down. Right now I want to eliminate the blue/purple ones but it doesn't seem easy cause most ARE blue/purple, it might mean selling my whole sock o_O

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I've never experienced this with a wide range of dieting. Cross breeding is the most probable cause.

Unfortunately you'll need to segregate them if you don't want it to further continue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually Cherry shrimp can turn purple or blue! Red is NOT their wild color...its been selectively bred into them for generations, but occassionally the blue or purplish color will show up.

I will gladly take all of the blue/purple ones off your hands and trade you Red ones!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually Cherry shrimp can turn purple or blue! Red is NOT their wild color...its been selectively bred into them for generations, but occassionally the blue or purplish color will show up.

I will gladly take all of the blue/purple ones off your hands and trade you Red ones!
Lol I'd love that... but I don't know how to ship shrimps :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe... here's what I feed them:

Crab Cuisine
Hikari sinking Algae things
Hikari Shrimp Cuisine
Brine Shrimp
Daphina

1 - 10 of 10 Posts