British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 6' 135g tank that is home to a Chocolate cichlid ~7", 3 Geo. Tapajos ~5.5" female to 7.5" for the 2 males, a Rotkiel Severum juvenile ~2.75", and 6 juvenile Geo. Winemilleri about ~2.75" to 3.25", plus dithers/cleaning.

The Chocolate cichlid is the boss of the tank, and he is generally quite benign. The issue is that my Tapajos want to spawn, and no sooner do they begin doing their dance and cleaning a rock and the Chocolate comes over and breaks it up. The females tube is fully distended and they are very close to spawning, but they just can't get a break from the chocolate.

He's not usually overly aggressive and he's not causing them any physical harm. He just won't stand for public displays of affection it seems. He pays zero attention to any other fish in the tank.

So I am contemplating adding another Chocolate to occupy his attention. My concern is that if I happen to get one of the opposite sex I could wind up with a pair who take over the tank. But if I wind up with two of the same sex, will they try to kill each other?

Any advice?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had another tank I could do just that. Of course if I had another tank, I would probably just put the Geos in there by themselves. Then, when the fry are ready to be on their own I would just put the Geos back in my 135.

Problem is I don't have another tank at the moment, and I won't be able to set one up for sometime. I can't get rid of the Chocolate because it's my Son's favourite fish (I really like it to).

So my thinking was, if I could add something to distract the Chocolate it may be a solution... Problem is, it a solution that is fraught with risk.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If I had another tank I could do just that. Of course if I had another tank, I would probably just put the Geos in there by themselves. Then, when the fry are ready to be on their own I would just put the Geos back in my 135.

Problem is I don't have another tank at the moment, and I won't be able to set one up for sometime. I can't get rid of the Chocolate because it's my Son's favourite fish (I really like it to).

So my thinking was, if I could add something to distract the Chocolate it may be a solution... Problem is, it a solution that is fraught with risk.
Put a divider in the tank. You can cut this to whatever size you need:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.egg-crate-white-louver---2375-inch-x-4775-inch.1000110881.html

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's an interesting thought... I'll have to meditate on that. The Red Heads have given up and are no longer close to spawning, so I will have a few more weeks to figure something out before they want to have another go.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the Tapajos finally spawned, but they were stressed (I think) and ate the eggs.

I ended up removing the Tapajos from the tank and basically exchanged them for 4 Guianacara.

This has had a good effect on the tank overall. The Chocolate cichlid ignores everyone now that he is the "big fish in the small pond".

The Guianacara's have been holding their own against the juvenile Winemilleri. There is the odd chase here & there, but the Guianacara's give as good as they get.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a photo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts