British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Christmas Get-Together at April's Aquarium Wed. Dec. 14th, 7-9pm

4K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  SeaHorse_Fanatic 
#1 ·
VAHS December meeting at Aprils aquarium

This years December meeting eill be a open house st April's Aquarium Wednesday December 14, 2016 From 7:00 To 9:00 Come by for coffee and cookies and check out the Fish.

4097 East Hastings Street Burnaby 604-336-3474

Merry Christmas and best wishes from the Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Society

#5 · (Edited)
Remember.. small shop.
So musical chairs!
Membership sign up for next year can also be had ! Membership helps
Bring in speakers, rentals for the big auctions etc.
And of course anyone wanting to help with meetings . Steering committee etc .
The committee needs help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Hey" all you folks that love the 2 big yearly monster auctions put on by VAHS, consider becoming part of the steering committee and keep the club going strong. The people that look after business at present have done a fantastic job over the years but now it's time for some new people to help out.
Hope to see you all at the meeting/social night at April's shop. :)

#9 ·
Sounds like a real good way to say hello and have a meeting.

I will definitely pop in.

#11 ·
Thanks April for setting this up. We had lots of fun. Great to have time catching up with everyone there and meeting new & old friends.

Actually glad Irene decided to run errands instead of coming cause then I could stay for the whole party. We would have had to leave much sooner if she had come, me thinks.

So proud of how well Felicia and Bella behaved. Didn't once complain or ask if "we could go home already". They kept themselves amused while Daddy talked fish talk with other fish geeks. Great night.

Anthony

#15 · (Edited)
A big thanks to April for hosting the get together for everyone

And Anthony I agree with the others your girls were little angels and were very well behaved, I even got to see Bella's snowflake she made at school :cool:.
Great seeing and meeting some other new folks and friends as well. Karen you did a great aquascape job on the new 9 gallon Fluval flex tank shown in one of the pictures, cool top to bottom curved front glass panel.

#14 ·
Thanks for Getting Together

Nice way to have a meeting, more quality information, bought some nice spider wood and a gold fish. Thanks VAHS and April for hosting a nice event and some quality food too.

Best of the season everyone ...:)

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks again for hosting April. Had a good time and learned quite a bit along with tips, tricks and adjustments that I'd like to test. All in all, it was good to match faces to usernames. Some highlights:

1) There are some serious fish enthusiasts, over 20+ tanks all with custom built stands and whatnot. Much respect hahaha.

2) It would not be a bad idea to run multiple filters on tanks. This way you can clean one without worrying about any bioload issues - as well as take one off to start on new tanks immediately.

3) A dirty filter can cause more than just flow issues - from a VAHS member's (I think Dave) past observation of BBA due to a clogged up filter at a LFS. A potential supplement/improvement over ceramic balls for biomedia is hydroton (from Anthony) - which is porous enough for beneficial bacteria to grow while dense enough to foster anaerobic bacteria to take care of the dirtier parts in the filter. Please correct me if I'm wrong here but definitely interested to adjust my canister filter with some hydroton. My 60P does have some BBA despite all parameters being quite stable. I've been meaning to do this but I have just been delaying...

4) Plants melt for various reasons - one might be that of shock. Karen was explaining that sometimes plants that are known to be a bit more sensitive don't melt at all - but due to potentially extreme temperature changes during the shipment it could affect the plant cells in different ways. My mass DHG mini melt could've been due to the fact that the shipment was re-routed to Manitboa (where it is frigging cold) and then back to Vancouver.

5) And of course I couldn't leave without buying some plants - all of which were looking quite healthy!

#18 ·
I have hydrocoton in my sump. It's cheap
Also I got a half garbage bag for 10.00 at the hydroponic store down the street.
Glad everyone enjoyed it! May have
To do it again. Karen and I have discussed a plant scaping workshop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard good things! Would totes be interested for the next meeting.

#23 ·
I love that hydroton stuff. I have it in my sump, and use it in my Aquaclears HOB's. It does take awhile to become saturated and sink though. AND, I happen to have about 15-20 gallons of it brand new in the bag in my garage, if anyone needs some. For a very small donation.....:bigsmile:

#29 ·
Paul who used to own the coral/sw boutique petshop in Aldergrove was the one who introduced it to Laurie and I years ago. I've been telling everyone how great it is ever since. Best part is that since its not manufactured specifically for the ornamental fish or reefkeeping industry, it does NOT come with the huge markup that seems to be standard for any fish related products. Lots of other filter makers have their own version of hydroton (probably just repackaged and NOT specifically made for them), but those name brand bio media clay balls are bleeping expensive (like $30-40 for a small box of it).

In four decades of fish-keeping, this is probably my favourite hobby-related product. I always keep some on hand as well in case fish-friends need some.

Anthony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.