British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what's going on with my tank, but my fish tried jumping out of my tank and everyone is sitting at the bottom of the tank. Few times they will go beserk and tries to jump out of the top.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
how warm is the water?

·
Registered
534 Posts
What kind of cichlids?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
take a sample into a lfs. you have not answered many of the questions that will help us clarify for you.....dont waste peoples time by not responding.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
time

take a sample into a lfs. you have not answered many of the questions that will help us clarify for you.....dont waste peoples time by not responding.
not wasting anyone's time it's their choice to contribute their thoughts..whenever...i didn't say "I AM IN NEED OF HELP ASAP!" and I just came back from camping.

Anyways they are African Jewel Cichilids and Zebra type looking Cichilid not sure what it looks like. I did somewater change, but my albino Cichilid just died..when I came back from my camping. But now they all look healthy and eating.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
glad they r doing better. its just these r basic points that start the process of elimination and you will find when fish r in distress people tend to want to help quickly as even 1 day can make a difference between life and death of a fish.
you have replied twice and still didn't answer re cycling time. any way fish r doing better. sorry you lost your albino.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cycling time is about 1 week. i don't know I changed from ten gal to a 30 gal. I'm not sure the effects of live plants but from Ten gallon I didn't have much plants actually none at all. Could it be the live plants? Tank looks good with it but could it be the source of my problem?

glad they r doing better. its just these r basic points that start the process of elimination and you will find when fish r in distress people tend to want to help quickly as even 1 day can make a difference between life and death of a fish.
you have replied twice and still didn't answer re cycling time. any way fish r doing better. sorry you lost your albino.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
plants shouldnt make a difference to the fish. my guess is it is still cycling. if you used the filter from the 10g there may not be enough good bacteria established to support a 30 g.
usually it takes a month to cycle. could be an ammonia or nitrite spike. you really need a sample tested. how many fish and what size. did you move substrate over as well? when did you add the fish and did you add anything to the water

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
plants shouldnt make a difference to the fish. my guess is it is still cycling. if you used the filter from the 10g there may not be enough good bacteria established to support a 30 g.
usually it takes a month to cycle. could be an ammonia or nitrite spike. you really need a sample tested. how many fish and what size. did you move substrate over as well? when did you add the fish and did you add anything to the water
I have two Plecos about 4in. , 1 jewel cichlid 3-4 in and the other one is just 1 in', 5 red empress all 1.5 inches, 2 angelfish about 2in lenght, 3zebra cichlid 2", 1 parrot fish 2 in".

definitely tomorrow i'll get the test kit.

i did carry some substrate and added new one.

i added the fishes 1 day after setup didn't want to leave them in buckets.

i added dechlorinator, clarifier, ammonia and nitrite neutralizer

my tank is 30 gal.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
if you can. i would post lf established filter media or squeezings .....also you have a mix of south american and african cichlids. africans like the water hard and alkiline, the others softer and more neutral to acidic. did yo buy your fish from members on here? you may ask them what perameters they kept thiers at. did you take down the 10g altogether/?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, some of the fish are given and some bought. Yes 10 is completely taken down.
if you can. i would post lf established filter media or squeezings .....also you have a mix of south american and african cichlids. africans like the water hard and alkiline, the others softer and more neutral to acidic. did yo buy your fish from members on here? you may ask them what perameters they kept thiers at. did you take down the 10g altogether/?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think its most likely an ammonia spike or a temperature issue. Good thing you did a water change.

Take a sample and check parameters at LFS.

In the mean time do 2-3 water changes per week for 3-4 weeks. The bacteria should be established by then.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts