British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Cichlid fry

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  VElderton 
#1 · (Edited)
My unknown type female peacock had a batch of 14 fry but only three survived due to a hole in the breeder net that I did not see until it was too late.
They are in a 10 gallon with a albino pleco. There is loads of places for them to hide, I noticed two of the fry fight today I am also unsure what the female bred with I am thinking it was my red peacock. But there is a male yellow lab in there too.

Do anyone have any tips on helping these three survive and grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
1) Peacocks all belong to the same genus so crosses are easy in any size tank. Some Peacocks were developed in breeding facilities and do not occur in the wild. Depending on which species you started with unless you keep the fish with only their species/strain they will cross. I doubt that the Yellow Lab is the father - different behaviour + different genus than Peacocks.

2) With only 2 fish you can easily grow them to juvenile size ... the solution to fast growing is:

• good filtration. on a 10 gallon an AC 50 or Tidal 55 would be my go to HOB filters with one large sponge filter with good air flow

• regular water changes with pH buffered water about 8 pH + Cichlid salts... 30% twice a week

• quality food. NLS, NorthFin, Omega One + some veggie flakes are all good ... small amount a pinch 4 times a day ... the plecostomus in the tank will do a good job cleaning up small amounts of food.

Reactions: parsons483
#3 ·
1) Peacocks all belong to the same genus so crosses are easy in any size tank. Some Peacocks were developed in breeding facilities and do not occur in the wild. Depending on which species you started with unless you keep the fish with only their species/strain they will cross. I doubt that the Yellow Lab is the father - different behaviour + different genus than Peacocks.

2) With only 2 fish you can easily grow them to juvenile size ... the solution to fast growing is:

• good filtration. on a 10 gallon an AC 50 or Tidal 55 would be my go to HOB filters with one large sponge filter with good air flow

• regular water changes with pH buffered water about 8 pH + Cichlid salts... 30% twice a week

• quality food. NLS, NorthFin, Omega One + some veggie flakes are all good ... small amount a pinch 4 times a day ... the plecostomus in the tank will do a good job cleaning up small amounts of food.

Ok lol the female peacock was originally sold to me as a Taiwan reef. Which I realized was wrong when I got home lol. I have an aqua clear 50 on the 10 gallon and I have been using the nutrafin fry food. And I do weakly water changes in my three tanks. Thank you

#4 ·
The only thing I’d add is a large sponge filter to make sure you have maximum oxygenation with surface agitation.

I raise a few hundred Africans each year and the system I suggested is what I use - very successful.

#5 ·
The only thing I'd add is a large sponge filter to make sure you have maximum oxygenation with surface agitation.

I raise a few hundred Africans each year and the system I suggested is what I use - very successful.

Would my bubble wall work as good as a sponge filter?

#7 ·
With two fry it probably doesn’t matter, If it was my tank I would be running both bubble wand and sponge filter or two sponge filters if the air pump has a good capacity.

As mentioned sponge filters have living organisms that the fry can pick at and water carries less dissolved oxygen than cold water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.