British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was in Bellingham and I decided to pay a visit to the store that I bought my first aquarium as a young boy MANY years ago....Clark Feed and Seed. As i perused the very large aquaria section, I was once again amazed at the great selection of aquarium livestock, plants, foods and supplies that they offer. The store has expanded their aquaria section and is very much larger than it was when I, as a very young boy used to visit and stare in fascination at all of the beautiful fish available before making my selections :bigsmile: They continue to maintain staff that are very knowedgable, professional and always willing to help in any way. I realize that #1-we are limited as to what livestock we are able to bring across the border, and #2-we should definitely support our local fish stores FIRST, but a visit to Clarks is well worth the trip. You won't be disappointed, and you may find some species of fish that you are unable to pick up locally :) ...and....it's a lot closer than my personal favourite..... The Wet Spot in Portland :cool:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'll have to check it out next time in the area. What are you allowed to bring back? I know I could Google but maybe there is a coles notes version haha

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been there before and did like some of their fish. just wasn't sure as to what I can bring back.
Yes...Bringing fish across the border is always a bit of a "gamble". In the past I have brought Killies, Guppies, Discus, Africans, Plecos and others across without incident. However, I know that they have tightened up the regulations in the past few years and there are definitely some species that we can't bring over....not sure what these are. Evidently there is a list on a Canadian food and drug site somewhere, but it takes a big of searching. In the end it is up to the border guard that you encounter...I have found some to be very congenial....others....not so much :mad: I would appreciate if anyone here can shed light on which species are prohibited. I am of the nature that if I find something that i like and can't find it locally, I just take a chance. When you get to the border, do a lot of smiling and little talking......just "yes sir no sir":eek:

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
349 Posts
It also says this on the website

Fish and seafood

all species except
pufferfish
Chinese mitten crab (Eriocheir sinensis)
When importing a susceptible aquatic animal species, an import permit will not be required when importing individual maximums of each of the following commodities of aquatic animals:

10 dead finfish that are not eviscerated
4 crustaceans with head on shell on
3 kilograms of molluscs
Import permits are required for all live susceptible species of finfish and for amounts of crustaceans and molluscs greater than the limits listed above. These requirements can be found in the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS).
So, as I understand it, the fish that we'd be most interested in bringing back in probably don't require any sort of permits? For example, plecos, cichlids, discus, etc...?

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It also says this on the website So, as I understand it, the fish that we'd be most interested in bringing back in probably don't require any sort of permits? For example, plecos, cichlids, discus, etc...?
Thanks Cory....more useful information. All good stuff we can use when being questioned by border officers :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was in Bellingham today and couldn't resist a visit to Clarks. Walked out with two bags for my nano tanks...one with some more pygmy corys and a nice little colony of Exclamation Rasboras. The border guard was awesome......told him what I had and he didn't even bat an eye :bigsmile: Straight through...

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was the pricing similar to here?
I found most prices a bit cheaper even factoring in the exchange rate of our weak Cdn dollar. The selection is fantastic and they take really good care of their fish so they are very healthy robust fish. Very nice knowledgable people to deal with as well.

·
Registered
967 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts