British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up my 33G long today, with white 3M colorquartz sand. I washed the sand many times but my tank is still pretty cloudy. Is it safe for the fish or should I wait for it to clear before I move them in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
You can put them in. I had the same thing happen when I put it in my tank. A few big water changes and the cloudiness was gone.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can put them in. I had the same thing happen when I put it in my tank. A few big water changes and the cloudiness was gone.
Thanks Daniel. So you mean a few big WC over the course of a few days once your fish were in?

·
Registered
90 Posts
That’s common when setting up a tank. From what I've heard it's due to the exposure to light and a very height amount of dissolved oxygen. But it seems to be totally harmless, and should go away in a day or two. With out haveing to change any water.

Myself I’ve always waited till I could see that it was started to clear (the next day or so) before adding fish... That also gives time to set the heater and put in any décor items. Then just cycle as normal.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's common when setting up a tank. From what I've heard it's due to the exposure to light and a very height amount of dissolved oxygen. But it seems to be totally harmless, and should go away in a day or two. With out haveing to change any water.

Myself I've always waited till I could see that it was started to clear (the next day or so) before adding fish... That also gives time to set the heater and put in any décor items. Then just cycle as normal.
Yes I know it's common and had this with every tank I set up, but this stuff comes with warnings on the bag about contact with eyes, wounds, and breathing. Not your average gravel it seems. That's what got me wondering...

I don't need to wait for a cycle by the way. The filter has lots of filter media from my other tanks.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Its like any superfine particles you definitely don't want to breathe it in as it will stay in ypur lungs. Mine is still pretty cloudy after a few days. I suspect it will take a few wc's for it to clear up.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its like any superfine particles you definitely don't want to breathe it in as it will stay in ypur lungs. Mine is still pretty cloudy after a few days. I suspect it will take a few wc's for it to clear up.
Thanks. Yeah I agree that it's more likely related to size than contents.

Do you have your fish in then?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
For me, I did a big WC, 50% or more, for 3 days in a row and it cleared right up. It was just the left over dust that was stuck to the sand. My discus were in there when it was still so cloudy you almost couldn't see the back of the tank and were just fine. Still are.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All right. Thanks. I'll probably do a large WC tomorrow and then move the fish in.

Boy does it look nice, btw. Great stuff. :cool:

·
Registered
496 Posts
If there is reason for concern about inhaling this stuff, why would that not be a concern for when your fish are inhaling it?

What I am trying to say is that I would be as uneasy about airborne 3M dust becoming inhaled and embedded in human lung tissue as I would were the dust waterborne and becoming trapped in my fish's gill tissue.

I rinsed the sand extra well, did a few huge water changes and eliminated most of the rest by using a polishing pad / filter floss in my filter.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If there is reason for concern about inhaling this stuff, why would that not be a concern for when your fish are inhaling it?

What I am trying to say is that I would be as uneasy about airborne 3M dust becoming inhaled and embedded in human lung tissue as I would were the dust waterborne and becoming trapped in my fish's gill tissue.

I rinsed the sand extra well, did a few huge water changes and eliminated most of the rest by using a polishing pad / filter floss in my filter.
I think they have gill rakers that act as a filter for the gills, blocking fine particles much more effectively than our... well... nose hair. But still, yes, I hear you. That's what prompted this thread in the first place.

·
Registered
327 Posts

The product contains silica dust which is a carcinogen when inhaled. The silica particles make it deep into the lungs and remain there where it causes scarring (silicosis) and possibly cancer; similar to asbestos exposure. No there is no need to be concerned if you are dealing with this stuff occasionally at home. The warning is there for elevated exposure levels at workplaces.

So for fish, I would guess that it would probably pass harmlessly through the gills.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts