British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
just due to their potential size and tank requirement plus the current and filtration, feeding needs, ich dangers ect....
I would say mid level at least in experience. Or very motivated to learn and open minded.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Of course petsmart is listing them as beginners. That's because when someone walks in complaining about a snail problem, they just send you home with a clown loach! Generally no info is given to the new happy owner and unless he/she does some research, they will have quite a surprise when these fish get big. Of course that does take many years from the size that petsmart carries. (this happened to me, my guy isn't big yet though and now has several friends :D)

No, CLs are not beginner fish. But as MananaP said, very hardy if you have correct water params. Hopefully the people that buy them, do some research.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I would agree with that. Clown loaches are prone to Ich as most of us know but also seizure. If they are not introduced properly they can expire before your eyes. This is true of other fish such as young Bala sharks and various high oxygen fish.
Many end up going into aquariums singly as well, causing them, sometimes a lethal amount of stress.
Yes, mid level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts