British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i somehow ended up with 2 clown plecos, bad choice.. well one of their tail has been chewed up and was wondering if it could be the other clown pleco? or the dwarf cockatoos?.. i did split them up into different tanks now, the torn up tailed clown is sittin in a 20 gallon long with 5 cherry barbs, would this tank be enough to house this guy? also what will help grow his tail back? is there some type of fin healers i can pick up?? im not realy sure if the tail was torn up with i bought it or not... hopefuly it will grow back cause it sure looks creepy with a missing tail..

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I'm no expert but highly doubt it was the other pleco. I have 2 myself and when I got them at IPU there were 3 in the tank and they were all fighting to get into the same hole on a rock , was kind of cute.Although they are known to be territorial, I'm pretty sure any aggressiveness they might show is harmless. One thing I do know is they like their own area/cave, so provide a few spots for them especially if you keep them together. They only get to 4"-5" maximum & they don't really move around too much , as you probably have found this out, so a 20 gallon tank is probably fine for now, but a 30 gal or 36" tank is recommended. The tail will probably grow back in time, hopefully it isn't fin rot. hope this helps a little , I'm sure there will be more knowledgeable replies soon enough to tell you what to do to help heal and prevent any infections with the tail. If you decide to get rid of them let me know, I might be interested in taking them. Anyway, best of luck.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I had 3 clown plecos and never had a problem with them. I have never heard of them biting tails off either.
Try 2wheels or Charles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts