British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to the fact that I've upgraded to T5 HO lighting, I am now looking at buying some used CO2 equipment, but as I have never used CO2 before, I could use a bit of education!!!
Offered is a Singo (?) regulator, aquamedic solenoid, and unknown brand needle valve (from J&L Aquatics in Vancouver) and the actual tank.
So 2 questions - (1)any opinions on the listed brand names? and most importantly (2) what else do I need to use this in my fresh water tank?
Many thanks for all replies!!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Too bad you're on the island. Do you come to Richmond much? The reason I ask is cause I can give you a demo on setting them up and what to look for when setting up a compressed CO2 setup as I've lots available here.

Basically it would be good to have a dual guage regulator, solenoid valve, and a good needle valve. A bubble counter is also good, but if you test the water or have a CO2 drop checker then you can go by the readings.

It seems that you have a Sigmo regulator which is a good one. The rest is standard and should be ok as long as it works.

The only thing I can think of that you need is a CO2 diffuser but that's about it. I hope that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mykiss - Many Thanks for the info - very helpfull!! As it looks like I will be buying this setup, and would like to support our sponsors, do you sell bubble counters and CO2 diffusers? If so, please PM me with price/shipping info.
PS - do I also need something other then standard clear plastic airline?
Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
you'll need tubing for connecting the CO2 to your diffuser...it's blue...and I think it's made of acrylic. Forgive me, it's late. I just know that it has to be for C02 because the carbonic acid can eat away at other types of tubing.

I highly recommend a bubble counter and diffuser. You may also want to look into a PH controller. It makes life a lot easier not worrying about how much C02 is being put into your tank. However, they can get a bit pricey. I recommend the Milwaukee SMS 122.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sharkbait - definitely looking at a bubble counter and diffuser also, just searching the web now for good deals :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Reactor's are very efficient too, they just take up more room in your tank, and are unsightly.

If you have an external filter, you can often feed the co2 line directly into your filter, this way when the water gets pumped back into the tank, the impeller will dissolve the gas into the water.

I've tried it both ways, but I prefer that CO2 atomizer from the filter return the best.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just finished some research - feedback on that diffuser is generally very good, but I also saw warnings / complaints about non-delivery? When did you buy yours? About how long for delivery? Do you have a spare to sell :D
Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just waiting on a quote from one of our sponsors - but I am liking the inline that you have suggested - Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
If you want a reactor, you can also just build a PVC one and hook it to your canister outside of the tank. I personally run a hybrid system. The UP Atomizer on one side and a ceramic diffuser on the other. There are reportedly some benefits to CO2 misting and I believe in it and am trying it. Seems to work for me. I've never run an external reactor, but may do so on my next tank. Here's a how to for making an external PVC reactor: http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks effox - leaning towards your recommendation, only possible concern is if it is suitable for a 120G?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.