British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The photo below is of a freshwater planarian flatworm (Polycelis coronate) as it crawls along the surface of a submerged leaf. I posted this photo and a number of others on my blog tonight.

I have had a life-long fascination with planaria (I blame my sister, as I explain in my blog) and was delighted to find and collect some of these critters in a local stream last week. The white mass in the centre of tits body is its proboscis, through which it feeds; and if you look closely at its head you will see a large number of tiny black spots: those are eyespots.

Cheers,
EC
macrocritters

planaria on leaf 2_filtered final copyright Ernie Cooper 2012 sm for post by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

·
Registered
847 Posts
Them suckers were subjected to an interesting scientific experiment, years ago. Electrical stimuli and a strong light was introduced simultaneously, to the worms.

They'd whither and cringe!

The worms were chopped up and fed to their brethren. Their cousins would whither and cringe when subjected to only the light, hence the phrase "Smart Food."

Pavlov's dogs comes to mind!

Nice picture again!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Cutting a planaria into 32,000 bits will give you 32,000 planaria. Bad news indeed if you like to squish pests in your tanks. Like hydra they are effectively immortal; or, at least, they don't die of old age.

But, really, Ernie... save yourself all that mucking about in puddles. If you need planaria to photograph I'd be happy to mail you some of mine:-0
2009 09 16_planaria mass1b.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cutting a planaria into 32,000 bits will give you 32,000 planaria. Bad news indeed if you like to squish pests in your tanks. Like hydra they are effectively immortal; or, at least, they don't die of old age.

But, really, Ernie... save yourself all that mucking about in puddles. If you need planaria to photograph I'd be happy to mail you some of mine:-0
View attachment 11067
I'd love some warm water planaria! If you have some I'd gladly come and get them!

EC
macrocritters

·
Banned
716 Posts
Macframalama that is NOT what I saw in the tank. They looked more like mosquito larvae, only 5-10x smaller. It wiggled just like one too.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I'd love some warm water planaria! If you have some I'd gladly come and get them! EC
macrocritters
> Ernie - If you're serious I'd be happy to start collecting. Thankfully I don't have a huge problem with them any more but I do have a couple tanks with planaria present. I'm sure they'd survive a few days in mail:) If not I'd be happy to meet up with you. I also have a few other tiny, unidentified micro-critters I'd love to see in macro if only for identification purposes....

> ThePheonix - while planaria can glide through the water they really don't tend to do it much. I see it only when I disturb the floating plants they're foraging on and even then they usualy flutter straight down. If the animal you're seeing looks like a mosquito larvae (segmented with appendages) but smaller it's probably one of the smaller mosquito species, a midge of some sort or any one of the many flies that have aquatic larvae.

>macframalama - I'd love to see the vid, too! While I'm 99+% sure of what I just said to ThePheonix, there's always the possiblity of error and I'm very open to being corrected:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
> Ernie - If you're serious I'd be happy to start collecting. Thankfully I don't have a huge problem with them any more but I do have a couple tanks with planaria present. I'm sure they'd survive a few days in mail:) If not I'd be happy to meet up with you. I also have a few other tiny, unidentified micro-critters I'd love to see in macro if only for identification purposes....

> ThePheonix - while planaria can glide through the water they really don't tend to do it much. I see it only when I disturb the floating plants they're foraging on and even then they usualy flutter straight down. If the animal you're seeing looks like a mosquito larvae (segmented with appendages) but smaller it's probably one of the smaller mosquito species, a midge of some sort or any one of the many flies that have aquatic larvae.

>macframalama - I'd love to see the vid, too! While I'm 99+% sure of what I just said to ThePheonix, there's always the possiblity of error and I'm very open to being corrected:)
Thanks! I'll PM you!

EC
macrocritters

1 - 9 of 9 Posts