British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you’ve liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc. regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Support

·
Registered
515 Posts
Dark mode (y)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Some sort of feature that requires new users to add a location when signing up would be very helpful.

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,288 Posts
I would like to have something other than registered by my name please. with ten years on this site I would prefer my forum god status back lol

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,288 Posts
how do I check messages?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
They aren't called messages anymore. They're "conversations". Very Facebooky. A term obviously chosen by someone who's more into the Internet and computers than into exchanging aquarium related information. To get to your messages ("conversations"), click the little icon with your image on it.

·
Super Moderator
5,305 Posts
Has our I-trader history been removed? This was a very helpful feature so others could view and report good sellers and buyers.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
A whole lot of useful things have been removed. Apparently the programmers didn't do much research into the wants and needs of their user base.

·
Super Moderator
5,305 Posts
A whole lot of useful things have been removed. Apparently the programmers didn't do much research into the wants and needs of their user base.
I’d have to agree, Tom. There was no consultation with any of the mods. It just happened one day.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has our I-trader history been removed? This was a very helpful feature so others could view and report good sellers and buyers.
Hey all.

The iTrader data was all backed up but as iTrader was no longer supported and isn't supported on Xenforo (the current platform), we are having to build our own version from scratch. A classifieds system is on the roadmap for this year and once availalbe, all the iTrader data will be imported in.

-Mike

·
Administrator
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some sort of feature that requires new users to add a location when signing up would be very helpful.
Each user should show a flag by their name that designates their country. Hovering over their avatar (or clicking on it), will show which city they are in. This is all tied to the user's IP address and will dynamically change based on where they are logging in from. If you do not see location information, it is because the member has updated their privacy settings, found here.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t aware you could hover over the flag to find someone’s location.

I’m a very long time user of the site and I have one piece of constructive suggestion:

For a variety of reasons (The loss of sponsors, an exodus to Facebook, and the fact that encouraging use of the site through contests etc. does not fit into your business plan.) this site has seen a drastic reduction in activity. It is basically now just a local classified ads site for aquarium related transactions. Considering this, a very useful piece of information is the person’s location. Hovering over the flag (pretty much everyone on the site will have a Canadian flag attached to their name) is not a very intuitive action. Not being a programmer, I don’t know if you feel it’s worth your effort but it would be very helpful if in addition to, or instead of, the picture of the flag you put the person’s location in the line below. That would be very useful. I don’t know what city you’re in, but if you want to buy something, would you not like to know that the person you’re dealing with doesn’t live way across town, or in a remote suburb? Making a person’s location more obvious would really be a worthwhile feature to consider.

One other suggestion: When making changes, you really should be more considerate and at least inform the moderators. They have been a vital component of BCAquaria and I doubt the site will survive long without them. They deserve consultation. You don't want to lose them through neglect, as happened with your sponsors.

·
Administrator
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should be able to get the same info from the users profile as well (either hovering over their avatar or from their profile directly):

-Mike

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
You're missing the point entirely. Hovering, scrolling, pointing, etc. is impractical when you're searching through the classifieds. Rather than check out each and every post to see where the person is from, I tend to just bypass it. I'm sure others do the same. Ease-of-use is one of the main features a website should have. A simple change, displaying a person's location rather than having to search for it, would very much improve the ease-of-use for your classified ads. All these fancy little features which programmers like to include, tend to make the site less rather than more useful. Remember, we're aquarists not computer geeks.

·
Administrator
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're missing the point entirely. Hovering, scrolling, pointing, etc. is impractical when you're searching through the classifieds. Rather than check out each and every post to see where the person is from, I tend to just bypass it. I'm sure others do the same. Ease-of-use is one of the main features a website should have. A simple change, displaying a person's location rather than having to search for it, would very much improve the ease-of-use for your classified ads. All these fancy little features which programmers like to include, tend to make the site less rather than more useful. Remember, we're aquarists not computer geeks.
The point you're making is not lost, I probably should elaborated on my previous post. I'm simply providing the current means to view location, the only means for the time being.

Classifieds is one area where Xenforo (the default software we use) can definitely use some love. However, work we are working on our own classifieds system that might address the above concern. We 100% recognize that Classifies are a HUGE part of communities and its on our roadmap for this year.

-Mike

·
Administrator
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Followed Forums

For sections of the community that have special importance to you, go to the forum section and click "Follow Forum".

You will see a list of options open for your preferences. Add a checkmark to your preferred options. Click Follow at the bottom.

Your Followed Forums will display at the top of the full Forum Listing page.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts