British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't flame the store by name...it isn't one of the sponsors here. If you figure out the offending store and decide not to shop there ever so be it. If this post gets removed for breaking the rules that's fine too. I'm not one to stand on a soapbox but man oh man...

I witnessed the most disgusting stuff I've ever seen in a fish department in any store ever and have written complaint letters to the store and the head office....I was almost in tears when I walked out of the store it was so bad.

Here are some examples of what I saw:
- Glassfish with injected neon dyes
- In nearly every display tank there were decomposing fish, this clearly indicates an ongoing lack of care. In most tanks there were multiple dead fish floating.
- The "show tank" at the front of the department had more than two dozen assorted fish including discus, clown loaches, tetras, and cory catfish gasping at the surface. All of the fish in this tank appeared distressed.
-The koi pond had several dead fish floating around in it.
-The "feeder goldfish" pool was so murky that you could not see the fish in the water and there were more than a dozen dead goldfish floating at the top of the pool.
-In many tanks there were clear signs of overstocking with multiple fish showing severely damaged fins, body lesions, and signs of stress, disease and damage from fish aggression.
-Several betta cups had rotting corpses in them; some of them had a scum of mould on the surface of the water from the rotting fish.

It was horrible, I understand a floater or two. This was way beyond being behind on tank maintenance. Rotting betta's in the cups really put me over, it was the grossest display I've ever seen.

Ryan in Richmond

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I already guessed which store it is when you said TWO things that's been ongoing for MONTHS!!

The feeder goldfish tank.. i can't agree more.. you can't see them...!
And the koi pond with dead fish... i also agree... but really... what can you do? They dun even care..! The company itself alone doesn't care..!
I feel your pain man! And let me guess.. this company has a big nice yellow and green sign!

Relax man.. there's nothing we can do... just vent and let it out =) cheer up~

·
Registered
45 Posts
I already guessed which store it is when you said TWO things that's been ongoing for MONTHS!!

The feeder goldfish tank.. i can't agree more.. you can't see them...!
And the koi pond with dead fish... i also agree... but really... what can you do? They dun even care..! The company itself alone doesn't care..!
I feel your pain man! And let me guess.. this company has a big nice yellow and green sign!

Relax man.. there's nothing we can do... just vent and let it out =) cheer up~
There is something everyone can do, just dont spend any money at the offending stores, might not make any difference but at least you and I wont be personally supporting said store.

I think I have a pretty good clue as to what store it is.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Why is bad to say the name? Is it against the rules? I guess the best that can be done is to not buy from a store like that. Especially the dead bettas :( That broke my heart just to read it, don't know how I would react if I actually see it :(
Complain and put there name everywhere so they go out of business I say :(

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah, saying the name is against the rules but on the other hand, you don't really need to know the name of the store.... if you see ANY store with conditions like that, for heavens sake don't support them!!!

I would write to management and mention the outright cruelty. I have seen stores excuse this crap by blaming it on bad shipments... yeeeah I'm really sure the fish reached that state of decomposition between Monday and now. Just let 'em know that they aren't fooling anyone and for whatever their excuse they still have one of the grossest stores in the lower mainland.

I might add that if you call this into the SPCA they are obligated to investigate, if not for the sake of the fish then for the welfare of any other small animals or dogs or cats in the store who could be suffering.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thats why my very first post here got deleted... as a forum we could get technically into big legal trouble by 'slandering' a store's name. Not saying it's likely to happen but if it does-- oh boy lets not take any chances!!!

I'm sure the name will come out through the grapevine and even then I would think, as I said previously, that most of our members here would have the sense not to buy from any store with such blatantly substandard conditions.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
We pretty much know where!

But seriously, as you said, we ALL can do something? yah, not buy there, but wut else? Do people actually care? I'm only being hoenst! No matter how many times you mention to staff, how many complaints you write to them, wut do they ever do? Well, at least thta's how I feel! Cuz they never seem to ever improve!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Call the SPCA to investigate. I did it for the same reasons for a certain pet store out here and they had to respond. Unsuprisingly there had been past incidences involving said store, animal welfare and the SPCA.

Also, we could start a petition on a petition site, or some sort of a pledge form. Maybe if they had a list of all the names of the customers they were losing they would think twice.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I could be wrong here , I'm pretty sure you could throw the name in there as what you wrote come off more as a personal experience or review. I personally would like to know the name myself so I never make the mistake of going there. I'd probably get kicked out as I would definitely voice my opinion lol Calling the SPCA sounds like a good idea too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I could be wrong here , I'm pretty sure you could throw the name in there as what you wrote come off more as a personal experience or review. I personally would like to know the name myself so I never make the mistake of going there. I'd probably get kicked out as I would definitely voice my opinion lol Calling the SPCA sounds like a good idea too.
No doubt. I have seen many reviews that just go blasting at a store :D sometimes for good reason and others, not.

I'm pretty sure we are not the only forum talking about the said store's bad quality and service.

What I don't get is how you could walk in there, and the management actually thinks they could sell anything! If you think about it, its actually ridiculous and almost humorous...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yeah, I agree it is common sence not to buy from a store that has tanks like that. But still. What if you go to get a dog or a bird and never really see the aquariums? I don't know if the bad "care" is so obvious with other animals, so... I would like to do something. If you end up doing facebook campaign or a petition, please, somebody PM me, so I join and send to my network.

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
IF we posted the name of the store AND the owner saw the thread AND hired lawyers to sue for Slander.. yes we would be in trouble.. i think.

I'll get our resident lawyer to take a peek and see what we can do :)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
IF we posted the name of the store AND the owner saw the thread AND hired lawyers to sue for Slander.. yes we would be in trouble.. i think.

I'll get our resident lawyer to take a peek and see what we can do :)
Just want to ask... but isn't it considered freedom of speech even if we flamed? :rolleyes: Because the forums intention wasn't to flame stores, but to share our personal hobby :rolleyes: So i think it's okay~?

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
perfect definition of it i think

Slander, in its broadest terms, is the act of publicly speaking injurious statements about another party, when the statements are known by the speaker to be false. You can sue someone for slander only if the false statements they spoke resulted in financial or personal loss.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well, it's only libel or slander if the statements are false, and can be proven false.
If he states that's what he observed when he was there; and doesn't claim it is always like that, I can't see were the business owner would have a case .... Especially if others reported the same thing.

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Well, it's only libel or slander if the statements are false, and can be proven false.
If he states that's what he observed when he was there; and doesn't claim it is always like that, I can't see were the business owner would have a case .... Especially if others reported the same thing.
Are you willing to risk the legal costs on that assumption though, cause i'm not.. HELL NO! lol

I've asked for guidance in this legal area so we will see, this is not a new subject, we have discussed it lots.. There are also documented cases of other fish sites with the same issue that WERE sued

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
hmm i really wonder what store. Im never out in richmond. Either way thats horrible what you witnessed. i think that all aquatic shops around the lowermainland deal with one or 2 of these problems. But a store thats dealing with all those problems is probably having some serious trouble with sales & employees. I wonder...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts