British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night someone came in to our yard and dumped our bucket of chlorine in the pond. My poor babies suffered a horrible death I'm sure. All I can say is I hope karma kicks their *ss and hard. Sadistic sadistic sadistic! This is my pond right now.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
what a sad thing....sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
What the hell. How can someone do that. So sorry to hear what happened.

·
Super Moderator
5,270 Posts
What the hell??? Who does that crap??? There are some really unspiritual people in this world.

Respectfully,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thursday afternoon a homeless looking person came in to our backyard. He came around the corner of the house to where I was sitting at my patio table. It scared the crap out of both of us. I froze in my chair and he ran. After about a minute I ran out front but obviously he wasn't to be seen.
I called 911, they patrolled the area looking for him. I found it odd that they didn't come here to talk to me. I waited and waited for them. I got a phone call instead telling me that even if they found him they couldn't charge him with anything. He said it's suspicious activity and that's not a crime. 4:30 the same day a neighbor told me that a black truck was watching our house. They saw her and took off. Of course, no license plate number. Midnight my husband was outside and everything was normal. 3 am my neighbor was out having a smoke he didn't hear anything. Some time in the middle of the night I woke to a bleach smell. I thought my daughter was doing laundry at an odd hour. I was exhausted from the horrible day I had and didn't go down to ask her not to do another bleach load. I wish I had. Maybe just maybe I could have saved the fish.
They not only dumped a pail of chlorine granules in the pond but they dumped the same size pail of shock in the pool or vice versa. They put the lids back on the containers and put them back where they were. Who does that?!?! I was trying to net out the undissolved granules yesterday and it ate my skin. It burned like hell. I'm trying not to think about my poor babies and how they suffered but the bleeding from the body and gills is etched forever.
Sadly we think we know who it is. We have a son that's 23 who has mental illness issues and is a drug addict. We kicked him out years ago and he is very angry. He's asked to move back in numerous times but refuses to listen to rules and get treatment so the answer is always no. Ironically he left for power river on Thursday. We are thinking that was his parting gift.
I may be a horrible person to say this but....I don't think I will ever be able to forgive him.
Having to part with the pond was devastating enough. We were looking in to different ways to grade our yard and fix the drainage without losing the pond. No point now. The reason for keeping it is gone. Those were my babies.
Sorry for the long post. It's a hard morning. The first morning I don't hear the water running. The first morning I don't hear their sucking noises and the first morning that I'm not having my morning coffee with them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Clean up the pond. Take some time to settle your thoughts and then think about renewing the pond. It was a horrible thing losing your pets that way, made even worse by your suspicions of who it may have been; but the pond can be cleaned and new babies put in it. Use the time to plan on how the pond can be improved when you redo the landscaping of the yard.
Losing pets is never easy, especially losing them that way .. You have my sincere sympathies and hopes something good can come from what can only be called a tragedy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's so tragic, what a horrible thing to have done to you and your babies. I hope, as Dave says above, that one day you will find joy in setting up your pond again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
" . . . even if they found him they couldn't charge him with anything. He said it's suspicious activity and that's not a crime . . . "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am fairly certain there could be a "trespassing" charge (unless the suspect actually has to be on the property when the police arrive). Rather a moot point at this stage , however, since you figure this chap "likely" is not the one with the bucket of bleach.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Wow that's horrid! Sorry to hear!
That happened to a friend of mine in USA. Also a son who had issues. They were going through marital
Issues, dad came back from
Iraq and the son felt the fish were getting all the attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
779 Posts
do you mean chlorine remover for your pond. I never use any for my pond. and I didn't know you can over dose it. and this is the reason why I have cameras all around my house. some people that have nothing better to do.

·
Registered
779 Posts
is it possible that it was left open and a cat or racoon came into the yard and knocked it over into your pond. or was it even near your pond. I don't know but I feel for you.

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
is it possible that it was left open and a cat or racoon came into the yard and knocked it over into your pond. or was it even near your pond. I don't know but I feel for you.
Other chemicals were dumped into her pool and both containers were put back where they are stored. ***** aren't so "neat" about putting containers back after use.;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all. It's nice to be able to talk to fish people. I've been bombarded with neighbors saying "I hope you're making an insurance claim " No, we are not making an insurance claim. That won't bring them back.
We took samples to the pool store today. The machines couldn't even get a reading. The chlorine levels were black. We put in 1kg of neutralizer in the pool and told to come back again at 5. They figure another kg will be needed. We are talking a 15 ft pool 4.5 feet deep so not a big pool by any means.
As for the pond, I'm finding out interesting things. Some bugs don't die. Dragonfly larvae were still alive. I caught them and put them in a bucket. Now that the pond is filling I put them back in. The heavy feeding pond plants are yellow but the others so far look ok. (knock on wood ) I am hoping to save them so I can give them away. (Gotta talk to Dino first) Thank you all again.
Janice

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As for the police saying no charges can be laid. I did ask about trespassing. They apparently don't charge people for that anymore because "it got ridiculous" Oh and if you protect yourself or family member and hurt them, it's on YOU to prove they had bad intent.

·
Registered
779 Posts
get cameras first before setting up your pond. someone is obviously jealouse so of you set it up they will do it again
or someone hates you. I'm just saying. obviously someone has a problem for them to do that to u guys so if you set it up they probably gonna do the same. Maybe not right away but they will be back. it would suck to see another thread up here again from you saying it happened again. I'm only saying that cause I have 34 koi fish in my pond and I love them. I used to have 35 and one died cause I think a bird got him then dropped him on the other side of my yard. I don't have raccoons here so I know it wasn't them. this was a year ago. anyways I love my koi and if this ever happened I would probably kill someone so that's why I'm saying you should get cameras. now cameras might not stop them but atleast you can see what went down or it might scare them

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
get cameras first before setting up your pond. someone is obviously jealouse so of you set it up they will do it again
or someone hates you. I'm just saying. obviously someone has a problem for them to do that to u guys so if you set it up they probably gonna do the same. Maybe not right away but they will be back. it would suck to see another thread up here again from you saying it happened again. I'm only saying that cause I have 34 koi fish in my pond and I love them. I used to have 35 and one died cause I think a bird got him then dropped him on the other side of my yard. I don't have raccoons here so I know it wasn't them. this was a year ago. anyways I love my koi and if this ever happened I would probably kill someone so that's why I'm saying you should get cameras. now cameras might not stop them but atleast you can see what went down or it might scare them
I'm not setting it up again. I'm filling it to try and neutralize everything. Yes we are well aware of our sons issues and anger.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts