British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Clean up the pond. Take some time to settle your thoughts and then think about renewing the pond. It was a horrible thing losing your pets that way, made even worse by your suspicions of who it may have been; but the pond can be cleaned and new babies put in it. Use the time to plan on how the pond can be improved when you redo the landscaping of the yard.
Losing pets is never easy, especially losing them that way .. You have my sincere sympathies and hopes something good can come from what can only be called a tragedy.
Thank you for your kind words. I definitely won't be doing another pond until my son gets help. Cameras are definitely getting put up soonish. Perhaps one day I will start thinking of a pond again.
Thank you again for the kind words

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow that's horrid! Sorry to hear!
That happened to a friend of mine in USA. Also a son who had issues. They were going through marital
Issues, dad came back from
Iraq and the son felt the fish were getting all the attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry to hear that. It must have been very hard for them during all that stress as well.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
there are no words to describe the loss a person feels when they know it's a direct result of another human beings deliberate actions.
Just know there are people out there who share your sense of indignity and anger and who will be there to help you piece things together again if and when you are ready. This is a great community that way and im sure once you put the word out if you want to rebuild it , members will be there for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
there are no words to describe the loss a person feels when they know it's a direct result of another human beings deliberate actions.
Just know there are people out there who share your sense of indignity and anger and who will be there to help you piece things together again if and when you are ready. This is a great community that way and im sure once you put the word out if you want to rebuild it , members will be there for you.
Thank you for your kind words. This forum has helped so much already. I'm basically keeping to myself and keeping my head down so I don't have to talk to our neighbors. I've asked my husband to let me know if he's going to talk to friends about it to let me know so I can leave the area. I'm sooo sick of hearing about the money lost, telling us to make an insurance claim, asking how much we figured we lost, and the best one yet "I don't understand why people spend so much money on a carp anyways". That comment made me snap. I tore into him telling him that I don't understand people that don't neuter there cats. Letting them populate more cats that end up in shelters or worse. Letting them ruin other people's belongings with them spraying.
Sorry for that rant, my point is this forum has helped me "talk" with people that understand.

Thank you again,
Janice

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
OMG I just got back from a trip to sisters place in Princeton. So sorry to hear about your pond, I know how much you loved it. :(

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm so sorry.
Only you know the true extent of your loss, so anyone else telling you otherwise or trying to minimize is just background noise.
Focus on grieving your loss and hopefully in time you will feel ready to slowly take on the things that bring you joy again.

Godspeed!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
OMG I just got back from a trip to sisters place in Princeton. So sorry to hear about your pond, I know how much you loved it. :(
Thank you Laurie. I probably bored you to death with my water puppy talk.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm so sorry.
Only you know the true extent of your loss, so anyone else telling you otherwise or trying to minimize is just background noise.
Focus on grieving your loss and hopefully in time you will feel ready to slowly take on the things that bring you joy again.

Godspeed!
Thank you. My parents came over yesterday and I had a good giggle with them. They knew how upset I was with having to take down the pond to fix the land issue. They had been trying to figure out how to build something big enough to keep them at their house until the work was done here. They never told me because they didn't want to get my hopes up. Turns out my mom was being sneaky and trying to get a pond out of my dad. Lol. So cute!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
hope the thio helps a bit.

Reactions: SeaHorse_Fanatic

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
hope the thio helps a bit.
Thank you so much Dustin! I've added it to the pond and have a zero chlorine reading. I still can't get the residue that baked on off. Scrubbing and pressure washing doesn't take it off. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
hmmm so it doesn't have water in it? possibly some baking soda and a good scrubbing is all I can think of

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
hmmm so it doesn't have water in it? possibly some baking soda and a good scrubbing is all I can think of
Now that we are back in town I can get to work trying to clean this up. There is water still in the pond. I added the thio and have no chlorine readings. However, I can't for the life of me get the white residue off. I have a bad feeling it has eaten away at the liner a bit.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
EPDM rubber is very resistant to most chemicals as it's original intent was for use as a roofing product, I wouldn't be too concerned unless you see an obvious hole, which is patchable. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
It might be that your liner has been bleached in places. Was the 'shock' that was poured in powder or liquid form? If it was powder then the residue could be calcium deposits, you could try some vinegar and if that works it is probably calcium which won't hurt your pond.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It might be that your liner has been bleached in places. Was the 'shock' that was poured in powder or liquid form? If it was powder then the residue could be calcium deposits, you could try some vinegar and if that works it is probably calcium which won't hurt your pond.
It was powder. I will try some vinegar and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wow... that's, for lack of a better term, fucked.

About a month and a half ago, someone went into my pond and just destroyed it. Large pieces of driftwood broken and smashed, the filter taken apart, and plants pulled out of their pots and taken. Lost most of my fish from it. It really sucks, I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wow... that's, for lack of a better term, fucked.

About a month and a half ago, someone went into my pond and just destroyed it. Large pieces of driftwood broken and smashed, the filter taken apart, and plants pulled out of their pots and taken. Lost most of my fish from it. It really sucks, I'm sorry for your loss.
Ugh! What's wrong with people! I'm sorry for your loss as well. Hopefully you have it back up and running :)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts