British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I have two Gold Ram. I think one is a female and one is a male. But the traits of the male are confusing.

All the traits point to this fish is a male Gold Ram. But for one confusing trait, this fish has slight pink belly.

Is the bigger Gold Ram a male?

Water Fin Underwater Fish Fish supply

Organism Fish Plant Terrestrial plant Marine biology

Thanks,

·
Registered
267 Posts
Those are nice Rams. Where did you buy them? Anyway, some male do get pink belly but females do get dark pink belly to red. I myself have electric blue ram male with pink belly. How I know it is a male is because he had a fry with electric blue female. Good luck!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are nice Rams. Where did you buy them? Anyway, some male do get pink belly but females do get dark pink belly to red. I myself have electric blue ram male with pink belly. How I know it is a male is because he had a fry with electric blue female. Good luck!
In Pet Culture in Richmond. They have many, but only saw one big one like the one I bought. Should be mix of males and females in that tank.

Here is a video of my Gold Ram.

My Gold Ram has all the traits to be a male according to this link: Sexing Rams - SomeFin's Fishy | Freshwater Breeder | South American Dwarf Cichlids
except it has a slight pink belly.

Thanks

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What Rick said. I never use colour to determine ram sex, always the dorsal fin.
Oh well, I just keep my hope low then.

It is interesting about this fish. I have not seen a female Gold Ram that big. The trailng edge of the dorsal fin is pointed though. The female is usually rounded. Time will tell.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like a female to me. The best way to determine the gender on rams is by the length of the first few rays in the dorsal fins. Males (when mature) will have significantly elongated 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th rays like the one in this photo: https://www.livefish.com.au/media/c...95d7a28e8fd99b1b12aaae4bfab8/g/o/gold_ram.jpg
There are two fish in the video. I am talking about the bigger fish. Part of the video, I think I see the bigger fish has slightly extended front dorsal fin for the 2nd and 3rd rays. Time into video: 10-12 sec 39-41 sec and 1:17-1:25sec.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have Gold Ram before. Look at the male of this pair. The male does not have super long 2nd and 3rd Ray. Almost flat.
So nothing is 100%. I do like to have a nice super bright Gold male Ram with super long 2nd and 3rd Rays though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts