British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have developed a recent obsession with dwarf puffers. I have done my research, and I've found that they are best kept in small groups, but they are at the same time territorial, so the large the tank, the better. They are exclusively freshwater, and it turns out, a nature aquarium set up if not only compatible, but even preferable of a habitat.

My only worries are that they are not that common on the Vancouver market, or am I wrong? Does anyone have experience with them? I'm think I saw a few displayed at Aquarium West, but I didn't notice them for sale. I'm also wondering if a 15 to 17 gal. tank is sufficient for 4 to 6 puffers.

Cheers,

Drew

·
Registered
572 Posts
April's used to carry them quite often. I feel like for territorial fish, if you buy more they will always fight each other until they each have enough room... So maybe how many you can keep would be dictated by your aquascape rather than how much you want haha.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I kept 6 in a 15 gallon. Frozen bloodworm and snails were their favourite foods. It helps to have branches and plants (real or plastic) to break sight lines.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback. I watched a video clip of them in their natural habitat and they were schooling peacefully. I know they are also territorial, esp. in an aquarium, which is why I was hesitant with anything more than 4. It's good to know that 6 is doable. I'll likely start the set up in the fall. Since I'm planning on a Nature Aquarium type set up, it will be planted with driftwood, stones and branches for sure.

Have any of you tried including amano shrimp with dwarf puffers? I feel like they may be too big for the puffers to be a threat. Some aquarists have had success with them and cherries, but I am well aware that that's a gamble.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback. It looks like if I keep dwarf puffers, I may invest in a much large aquarium such as as a 30 gal. cube. I'll have to improvise as I know ADA and similar rimless aquariums do not have aquariums for sale with cube dimensions that are larger aquariums vs. nano tanks.

I'm thinking of a nature aquarium, and Indian biotope hybrid concept for a setup. We'll see how that goes. I might post a journal for it. I'll leave this thread open if anyone else wants to reply, or let me know what other unlikely companions they managed to successfully keep with dwarf puffers.

Cheers!

Drew

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know Fish Addicts gets them in fairly regularly. I too have been tempted to try a group of these guys out, but haven't had the tank space that I would like yet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Pet lovers in abbotsford had a large amount of them not long ago . I also know that Mr Pets brings them in sometimes .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts