British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a bit of careless cleaning yesterday, I put my hydrometer/thermometer in the mantis part of the sump and forgot about it. I gues he didn't like the intrusion cause he went to town and shattered the bulb on the bottom. The rest of thermometer part is intact, but the metal beads and whatever else is on the bottom fell out. I think I got most of it out. Do I need to worry about anything?

·
Registered
617 Posts
No need to worry Rogue. Even if the beads are lead , it would take a very long time for them to react with the water. Not only would there be a miniscule amount of lead in the system at any one time, but water changes will remove dissolved compounds of it.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I believe the beads would be mercury. They probably pose more of a health hazard to us than to the fish. I personally would try to remove as much as I can with something like a turkey baster. It's highly toxic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reasurance.
He's been very agressive lately eating a clam every couplebof days.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Ah I see. Just thought that since the OP mentioned metal beads, I couldn't think of whatever else they would use in a thermometer that would form metal beads. Perhaps there's other materials out there that would resemble mercury.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Ah, that makes sense. Thank goodness for electronic temperature sensors! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts