British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find out if I have copper piping cause I don't want to buy shrimp and then just kill em.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Look under your sink or where your hot water tank is located. If the pipes sticking out are copper then that answers your question. Lots of homes have copper so I'm not sure if that's a real concern for shrimp. Use some Prime if you are worried.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look under your sink or where your hot water tank is located. If the pipes sticking out are copper then that answers your question. Lots of homes have copper so I'm not sure if that's a real concern for shrimp. Use some Prime if you are worried.

I already use Prime for all my water changes does Prime actually reduce copper as long as it's like very low levels?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Prime does work. Though frankly if copper was at a concentration that would be of significant concern, I don't think you would want to drink it yourself. Keep using the prime as it will remove any trace amounts.

·
Registered
890 Posts
the amount of trace copper element that would be in your water would be so minute it would not matter. if you are actively using your plumbing in your house for showers, dishes, washing clothes, brushing teeth and flushing toilets your water would move through your pipes...there would be little to zero copper in your water. Use prime if you are worried but I doubt you need that. I would be more concerned about chlorine or chloramines.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the amount of trace copper element that would be in your water would be so minute it would not matter. if you are actively using your plumbing in your house for showers, dishes, washing clothes, brushing teeth and flushing toilets your water would move through your pipes...there would be little to zero copper in your water. Use prime if you are worried but I doubt you need that. I would be more concerned about chlorine or chloramines.
Alright thanks well either way I'll keep dosing Prime because it's so cost efficient and amazing IMO. Thanks everyone for the feedback had to confirm it :D

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I have copper pipes and keep shrimp just fine. Run your water for a minute before using for tanks and you should be fine. Copper is soluble in water but in small amounts and if you use Prime the dissolved copper is bound and not available as free copper ions.

·
Registered
349 Posts
what age is your house? looking under the sink may not always be the best way if theres been any renovations. Either way, I wouldn't be worried about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts