British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Midnight - hear loud noise & then loud water spraying noise. Thought it was my return pump coming off the hose. No such luck!

The front Starphire pane cracked from the bottom left corner to almost the top right corner. Water shooting out hard enough to wet my couch. Carpet is soaked. Tile is wet & slippery. How wet & slippery? Enough to send me flying in the kitchen when I went to grab buckets. Left rib cage is hurt so Irene is stuck with alot of the heavy lifting. Only have one good side to help. She's such a trooper. Honestly don't give my loving wife enough props.

Pulled all the live rock, corals & fish & almost everything is now in the 120g which I luckily didn't sell off yet (it was pending). Turned off all power to the tank & added powerheads to the 120g & now got to add a skimmer too.

Back to the clean up.

Only silver lining is that it didn't happen while we were on vacation (got back Sunday afternoon).

Anthony

·
Registered
491 Posts
yikes Dude, I have always wondered how a tank randomly cracks... water pressure on the glass?

sorry to hear this, but man good thing you had that tank.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Oh wow! Sorry to hear that. Well atleast the fish and live rocks and corals are ok :).

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was a rebuilt tank. It was originally a free CL tank with a crack in the front pane almost exactly like the crack tonight, so I strongly suspect that there is a fatal flaw in the frame or other panes of glass that creates a pressure point.

The stand is perfectly flat &level with a full plywood covering on which the tank sat so it was NOT the stand being off center.

After I cut out my DIY overflow box, this tank will be junked unless someone wants it for a huge reptile tank for free.

Having kept used tanks for over 30 years, this is the first major blow out I've ever experienced. Since the same front pane blew in the same manner, I believe that it was manufactured with that flaw since the silicone job held fine and all the other panes are still fine, just the front cracked all the way.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Wow my biggest fear confirmed. That sucks Anthony I hope you manage to get everything saved and sorted out. You are lucky, You go Irene.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since it has cracked the front pane twice in the same place, not worth saving. It will be a free reptile tank at best. Otherwise junked.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow my biggest fear confirmed. That sucks Anthony I hope you manage to get everything saved and sorted out. You are lucky, You got Irene.
Yeah, she helped take out all the corals, live rock & even caught some of the fish for me. Now she's vacuuming up the water with my new Wet/Dry. Love that Rigid W/D vacuum, works awesome.

Looking for a tank with the same 6' x 2' footprint now.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how much u think it will cost to fix it to make it hold water agane?
My marriage.

It cracked in the same spot twice so why waste more money & lose sleep knowing that it is likely to crack a third time. Better to spend the money to buy another tank with the same footprint & start all over again.

Unfortunately, I took a bad fall on the slippery/wet tile and might have cracked a rib & hurt my back. I know I cut my thumb deeply on the left hand and have a couple slight cuts on my right hand after tonight so feeling really banged up and not a happy camper right now.

Gonna eat my McD's fish burgers (which my loving wife just picked up for me) and see if I can track down another tank.

Anthony

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Oh Anthony, that really sucks~~ hope the injury wasn't too serious, let me know if you need any help~ :( :( :(

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Wow, your wife is definitely a trooper. Soory to hear about the fall, and the cracked tank. I hope you can find a new tank. Let me know if I can help in any way.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Wow every fishkeepers worst nightmare. Hope everything is safe now and that you didn't lose any livestock. Sometimes I wonder if duct tape might have been able to hold back the water for a bit til you were able to empty it in an orderly fashion. Yes, watching too much Mythbusters....

I guess look on the bright side, you get to start another project. Good luck!

Tony

·
Registered
516 Posts
Man thank goodness you were home and heard the crack! I'm sorry to hear about your injuries, I hope you heal up soon. Good luck finding a new tank!:)

·
Registered
916 Posts
WoW!! thats really bites!! :(..Sorry to hear that Anthony,your lucky you have Irene my g/f would of went out to visit friends and left me to clean up MY mess.:eek:
So sorry to hear this happened, glad you were able to save everything .Makes me a little nervous having 2 -180's sitting on top on each other now :eek:....
Hope you heal up quickly and things dry out fast.
I would think something was wrong with the Tank the day it left the factory...just to weird to have 2 panes break the same way :confused: ...sheesh
..UN believable!!

bill

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sorry for your worst nightmare realized, I hope the McD's helps out a bit.
Did the tank come with the double braces like the new 6' by 2' tanks are coming with?

I worry alot about my tanks too since I just spent tens of thousands renovating the basement under my tanks. I used bamboo flooring on my upper just becasue it is so water resistant.
I have seriously been considering a "catch pan" under my 180 gallong tank before I set it up.
I think the real trick is trying to make it look decorative in the living room

1 - 20 of 33 Posts