British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a bird bath set up in the garden for the little birdies but recently some crows have decided to use it to store all their garbage pickings :( not more than 10 minutes after cleaning and scrubbing it they already bring their loot and leave to go get more.

After just cleaning it this morning I already have cubes of cheese, deli meat, bread, and mouse/fish carcuses and bones. It fouls the water so bad :( my neighbour also FEEDS the crows. Every morning on her deck and around her house theres between 20-40 crows swooping all around. It's sickening.

Any one have any ideas to stop them doing this in my bird bath? I've never had this problem before... I'd hate to have to leave the bath empty because lots of species of birds uuse it all the time :(

·
Registered
496 Posts
My best suggestion is to leave it empty til the crows forget about it. Or alternatively, get a fountain. It will discourage them from plopping their oversized rears down in it!

·
Registered
327 Posts
my neighbour also FEEDS the crows. Every morning on her deck and around her house theres between 20-40 crows swooping all around. It's sickening.
It could be a sign of mental illness or occult activity be careful!

You could build some sort of large wire mesh cage over it, or switch to a smaller container strategically placed in the yard. I am sure that they can probably smell water.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I say Pellet gun as well! If you arent a good shot you can cover it with a dome of page wire the smaller birds have no issues getting through but the crows can't.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the good ideas :) I've just been sitting on the steps with the hose and power blasting them as soon as they land in the bath :D hopefully soon enough they get the idea to stay away.

I don't know what kind of crazy person feels the need to feed crows. It's probably because of her we have a bad rat problem outside around here in the summer :( Crows are more than capable of finding their own food.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Um, rather illegal to shoot crows with a BB gun. Hopefully those were sarcastic posts.

Just be careful blasting them with water like that. Crows are super smart and could possibly 'hold a grudge' and decide to attack you when you go outside. I'm not sure what you can do, maybe call a fish and wildlife type # and ask for some advice?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Large chicken coop wire will allow the small birds to access it without the crows being able to get in:)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I don't know what kind of crazy person feels the need to feed crows. It's probably because of her we have a bad rat problem outside around here in the summer :( Crows are more than capable of finding their own food.
Nothing crazy about it. The person is motivated by the same feelings that cause you to set up a bird bath.

Crows are super intelligent, and very entertaining. My brother feeds them all the time, and has gotten to know their individual personalities. One does a perfect imitation of a kitten mewing.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
get a motion sencered sprinkler and set the sensitivity so it trips when larger birds are there but not the smaller ones. my grandpa did this for racoons, it probably cost him 40 dollars all said and done

Alex

·
Registered
90 Posts
Um, rather illegal to shoot crows with a BB gun. Hopefully those were sarcastic posts.
Under B.C. law it is legal to kill Schedule C animals or "pest species" last I heard a crow was a pest!

but that being said the water hose may be a better idea... people may get mad if you miss the crow and take out a window, cat, or their kid!:p

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nothing crazy about it. The person is motivated by the same feelings that cause you to set up a bird bath.

Crows are super intelligent, and very entertaining. My brother feeds them all the time, and has gotten to know their individual personalities. One does a perfect imitation of a kitten mewing.
No doubt about it, but a murder of crows is nothing but a public nuisance. There is actually a by-law in Vancouver prohibiting feeding birds to some effect, haven't actually see it. But I imagine it is targeted at "those people" that come along with bags of bread crumbs to feed sea gulls/pigeons/crows on other peoples property and public spaces. Naturally the birds don't get 100% of the crumbs which just attracts rodents to come along afterwards to clean up the rest. Same goes for backyard bird feeders and seed to some degree.

Almost all natural sources of water have been eliminated in urban environments, thus water can be hard to come by for creatures, especially in the summer, whereas various food sources are common.

A couple more ideas, look for a crow in distress call on the internet and blast that in your backyard and I think that I read somewhere that they are greatly disturbed by a carcass of one of their own, you could maybe put together a stuffed dead crow and hang it in your backyard.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Under B.C. law it is legal to kill Schedule C animals or "pest species" last I heard a crow was a pest!
Kinda sucks... we had some neighbors (grow op actually) with pigeons roosting in their roof because of the warmth from their op. Well the neighbors complained, so one of the growers simply took some 2x4s and a hammer and started BOARDING ALL THE PIGEONS INSIDE THE ROOF!

Guess what. We complained but under the pest species act it isn't illegal to trap pigeons inside your house until they starve to death :mad::mad::mad:

Just because they're a 'pest species' doesn't mean they can't feel pain! Come ON people :mad:

I bet if you cracked one around here about shooting someone's annoying parrot with a BB gun you wouldn't get quite the same reaction.

/somewhat off topic rant.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We complained but under the pest species act it isn't illegal to trap pigeons inside your house until they starve to death :mad::mad::mad:
I guess it matters who you complain too. Because it is illegal to deprive any captive animal or food and water.

I've learned from dealing with the guy next door that trains guard dogs in his spare time... They barked 24/7 and scared horses and other pets… That you are much better to call the SPCA or other animal wrights groups the RCMP or city hall.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Oh it was the SPCA that we called, as far as can remember :eek:

I feel for ya thought... we have lived beside some noisy dogs and it is NOT fun. Espescially when you have to get up at 6 am for work every day but your neighbors don't!

·
Registered
743 Posts
how about one of those plastic owls they use on all the comercial buildings. I think they work for pigeons and crows.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts